Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well "lily" is our 1st lutino and NOT having anything to compare her to, just stuff we've read off the net - we assumed she was a girl

even know the last 2 days she has been trying to mate pearl * she stands on top of her but doesnt actually do the mating - just goes through some of the motions *

well in the tiels my b/f is bringing home there is a Lutino and he got a chance to look under the wings and he said Lily has to be a boy because the one in the truck with him has a BUNCH OF YELLOW DOTS UNDER the wings and all the websites i've been to said that is FEMALES ( NOT yellow dots under the wings are males) and well I guess i'll see what he's talking about in a few hours when he gets home

But that would explain why "lily" keeps trying to Mount Pearl and the lady I got them from said thats all the lutino ever did was Mate with the pearl - she gave them a Nesting box and 2 infertail eggs were laid

but I also know that Not every single time they mate will the eggs be fertile (or so i've read)

So I may have a Leo instead of a Lily - I guess time will tell

if so - I've got tons of pictures to delete and do over with their names on them LOL

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Lily could very well be a Leo...hehe :p I wouldn't go by the wing dots my lutino Miinie is dna'd female and she has no spots what so ever under her wings I have even held her up to a bright light used a flashlight etc... and there is nothing there they say with lutino's because of there colour some just can't be seen only under certain lights which I have yet to find one good enough, either that or my dna test was wrong...lol
I actually thought Minnie might be a boy because of the lack of wing dots and her vocalness but then the dna came back female

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Lutinos can be tricky! That is one mutation I don't care to guess the sex off just vissually-maybe behavior wise. Keep in mind some some are just gender confused and will take the role of a male...

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we took lily into the bathroom and used the lights that is above the sink (they're the brightest lights in the house) and she does have the spots but they are extreamly hard to see! and she is quiet except for an occasional chirping here and there

babyluv12- i've got alot of gender confused birds here LOL right now we're watching 2 of my girl budgies attempting to mate, and earlier I had to make lily get off of Pearls back again! - Mainly because my son was sitting right there
im just NOT ready to explain y two girl birds are standing on eachother LOL

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
LOL!!! Sounds like you have a lot of confused birdies at your house. And possible a confused son if he catches them in the act sometime soon. :p You could always just tell him that they're wrestling/playing. ;)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol bea that would most likely work - because Lily just stands ontop of Pearls back, doesnt make any motions or anything just stands there both feet firmly planted on her back

i could tell him "well its like when we watch wrestling on t.v lily has Pinned Pearl- this is how the birdies do it because they dont have arms and hands like we do"

he would buy that Bieng he's only 7 he pretty much beilieves EVERYTHING a adult tells him and MOST of everything kids tell him lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts