Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my male cockatiel has become very aggressive towards my female cockatiel to the point where he will constantly chase the female around the cage and i'm worried he is going to hurt her as he keeps going for ages.

I have seperated him at the moment and he is in a spare cage behind me. Am i doing the right thing by separating him for an hour or so? Any suggestions?

There is a chick in the nest box.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would separate them permanently if this is a nonstop thing. A squabble every now and then is one thing, but if it becomes clear he is actively hunting the hen the two do not need to be kept together. You may need to step in and help the hen raise that chick. She may abandon the nest if the male is removed from the room. Keep him nearby, just in a different cage. Seek out a reptile heating mat to attach to the top of the nestbox lid, this will help keep the chick/s warm while the hen is away. Learn how to handfeed, there are plenty of youtube videos that can teach you how if you can't find a breeder to teach. Hand feeding isn't rocket science and is pretty easy to figure out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts