Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering if I could get your best guess on the gender of my cockatiel Nico.
I've had several conflicting opinions about this.
Nico is a seven month old whiteface.
The markings make me think Nico is a girl because the tail feathers are barred
(I have been noticing a lot of them have been darkening to grey but considering he's over six months this may be irrelevant?)
Also the entire head is not white.

However from what I can tell Nico's behaviour is very male though again i cant be sure.
He was mimicking whistles within the first few weeks of being home.
His repertoire now consists of the microwave, the washing machine, the adams family tune, the skippy whistle and 'watcha doing'
I have heard only males can talk but I don't know whether this is true.

I've added some photos
opinions appreciated thank you :)

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Both males and females possess the ability to whistle and talk, it's just generally the boys that do it. It's uncommon (but definitely not impossible) for females to whistle and talk that much. My girl has copied a couple of our whistles but it doesn't go any further than that. She's not a very vocal bird most of the time anyways.

Have you considered DNA sexing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for clearing up the talking matter,
Nico is definitely vocal :D
DNA sexing isn't something I've considered due to cost.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Where do you live?
I went through the whole "is she really a girl? maybe she's a boy" debate with myself with Zoe when she was a few months old haha and I ended up getting her DNA tested. It cost me around $30.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Australia,
Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but I've been told by my Vet and the Breeder I purchased Nico from that DNA testing was upwards of $50.

:D its defiently an interesting debate. Most of the family call Nico a boy out of habit but since he's gone through his first molt I'm just not entirely convinced lol.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm in NSW! If you're interested in having him DNA sexed, here's some info:

I use DNA Solutions to have my birds DNA sexed. It takes a week or so to get the results back but it's really affordable and easy to do. You just steal a couple of wing feathers (I take 1-2 secondary flights from each side), pop them into an envelope with the completed form and send it off.

http://dnasolutions.com.au/product-category/dna-tests/

Click "Animal DNA Testing" and then under "Bird sexing DNA test" there's a link to the printable order form. It's $17.90 for one bird. I paid extra for express results which is why it cost me $30.

I usually only DNA test my breeders so I can pair them up more easily, but with Zoe the debate with my husband (and myself) was driving me batty so I decided to find out once and for all! Lmao.

Edit: I am also pretty certain some other members will be able to help you with this as well!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Judging from the white face combined with the vocal behavior I'm saying male, females do not get the white face. The entire head does not go white, mostly just the sides of the face

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Based on Nico's face alone, that's a boy. Pied can cause the bird to keep barred tail feathers for much longer than normal, even just being split to pied. My Fuzzy was a pearl split pied and he kept his pearls for well over two years (not all but some.) That white face though doesn't lie. A hen would have a grey face, not a bright white one.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have a male whiteface who still has some barring under his tail at 16 months old, I do know his exact age as I bred and raised him. I also know he is male 100% due to his parents mutations, his solid white face and his behavior. He is split pied.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You have a boy :)

The whiteface mutation simply removes the yellow color from the feathers. That white mask would be the normally yellow mask in an adult male tiel. He also lacks the tail barring on the outer feathers that juveniles and females have. If there is still some barring on the underside it will molt out.

I have a male whiteface who still has some barring under his tail at 16 months old, I do know his exact age as I bred and raised him. I also know he is male 100% due to his parents mutations, his solid white face and his behavior. He is split pied.
Pied and split pied interfere with color changing patterns. It's not unusual for a pied or split pied male to hang onto juvenile markings or pearls for many years. Phoenix is over 2 and still has a lot of grey on his face and barred tail feathers.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Definitely a male. :) Beautiful 'tiel!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the helpful insight 😁😁:D

It makes more sense knowing the barred tail feathers can stick around longer than I thought!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Here's another vote for a boy :) The white face alone confirms it :) He sure is a handsome devil !

·
Registered
878 Posts
Beautiful! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts