Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I haven't been on the site for a long while. I hope I post this in the right section, if not, could admin please move it or let me know where it should be.

We are immigrating soon and I can not take my cockatiel with. I have tried not to think about losing him but, I can't hide anymore. I have 2 choices: 1 - Find him a home where I hope he will be loved and cared for or 2 - Find a vet that will euthanize him. Option 2, I would really like to avoid! I don't want him to become one of those birds that gets passed from house to house.

He is approximately 3 years old (I've had him since he was 6 weeks old). He hates being in his cage, so he spends most days roaming the house (I am a stay-at-home-mum). He loves my (5 year old) son and usually sits on the trains as my son pushes them around.

Please don't slate me or tell me what a bad person I am for not being able to take him with or moving despite having to leave him. I am really sad about having to leave him and already feel horrible. Has anyone had to re-home a cockatiel? I don't know where to start or advertise. How do I find him a good (forever) home?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
No one will slate you - its is what it is. Its sounds like its not been easy for you to decide.

Can I ask why you can't take him though?

And, do you have any good rescues near you?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I would advertise everywhere I could, if a rescue (make sure its a good one) can not be found. If someone is serious about taking your bird, make sure they have everything that you require, might that be time, a proper cage set up etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I recently had to give my birds away I searched on wanted ads for free birds. I found a man who had many pet birds as well as birds he kept in large avairies. He told me what type of diet he fed his birds were on and what type of attention they received and I decided they were going to a good home.

Craigslist is pretty much world wide. I looked up where you are from in Wiltshire England and found this link for craigslist in the UK, you can post an ad in a location closest to you or search the wanted ads. Good luck, you and your cockatiel. Hope things work out.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/gb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one will slate you - its is what it is. Its sounds like its not been easy for you to decide.

Can I ask why you can't take him though?

And, do you have any good rescues near you?
We are moving to New Zealand and unfortunately New Zealand does not allow the import of birds. I sent a request to Animal Imports in Wellington, asking if I could apply for a special permit to take him with. Unfortunately my request was denied.

I haven't been able to locate a rescue near me. That's why I thought I would try ask on here if anyone knows of a rescue or someone looking for a bird to adopt. I have and still do search the small ad sites every few days to see if I can find any wanted ads.

A friend of my husband said he would take Thunder but he work full time. Leaves home at 7am gets back 19:30. Usually goes to bed at 21:00. So Thunder is going to be alone most of the time, which doesn't seem fair or right.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hmm...in my opinion, I think it would be better to find him a new home, rather than euthanizing him. I would reserve that action for only the most dire of circumstances, say if a pet was in significant amounts of pain due to an injury or some other. But, that's just me.

If you're worried about him being lonely, maybe your friend would accept 2 tiels into his home rather than 1?

People in my area don't post wanted ads too often, but when I was rehoming my birds I would post up ads to see if anyone wanted a cockatiel and I got plenty of replies. Craigslist worked great for me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what really scares me about re-homing him:

"1. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) [www.peta.org]

We are writing in regards to the "free to good home" advertisements that appear on the Craigslist website.

As you may be aware, animals given away for free can, and unfortunately often do, meet gruesome fates. They can end up in the hands of animal abusers like Barry Herbeck, a Wisconsin man who was convicted last year of torturing and killing animals he obtained through "free to good home" ads. He confessed to taking his kids with him when responding to the ads so people would be comfortable turning animals over to him. People known as "bunchers," who obtain animals illegally from random sources to sell to research facilities for profit, often acquire animals by answering "free to good home" ads. Small animals advertised as "free to good home" are sometimes acquired by individuals who intend to use them as bait in training other animals to fight. Gerbils, hamsters, and young kittens are often acquired to be used as snake food."

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are also what are called flippers on CL here in the states. They beg for free birds and then turn around and sell them. On the other side of that coin there are people like me who browse CL. I wouldn't mind paying a small rehome fee for a bird and I actually have found one of my budgies off CL (she was advertised as a parakeet and a male but anyway!), So not everyone on CL is bad, but I would try to screen them if you are giving your pet to them. Don't advertise your bird for free but say there is a rehoming fee. If someone is truly interested for the birds sake they may contact you. It's then up to you if you really do charge a fee. I think with your tiel being so tame, you should not have much problem finding it a good home.

Best of luck to you and your tiel :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My boy has gone to his new home. :cry:
It's a bitter-sweet feeling, I am really sad for losing him but happy he found a good home.

Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm glad he found a good home, I can't stand the thought of if I ever had to rehome mine, I'm really sorry you couldn't take him with you.

Is his new family going to be giving you updates on how he's doing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They promised to send photos and updates. They have already sent some photos and a little video clip showing him settling in. I was also told up until we leave I can go visit him anytime.
The lady that took him had a cockatiel that died last year (she had her previous one over 13 years). She bought my one a new cage, toys etc. So when he got there, his old cage was put next to the new cage. He could then take his time exploring. Once he was happy on the new cage, she transferred one or two of his old things across and took the old cage out.
I'm sure he will be well taken care of and well loved.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I'm glad you were able to find him a nice home. I'm so sorry you aren't able to take him with you but it sounds like he will be well loved in his new home.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
sounds like he definately found a good home and it's nice that you can visit him until you leave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts