Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m very new to the bird world. I read as much as we could and I got a lovely 3 month old cinnamon pearl from a breeder after asking for her most placid bird. Our new bird Celli went through the typical first couple of days of shock at new surroundings then fit right in, Before long I could temp her with millet spray onto a perch and eventually onto our hands. After 2.5 weeks she is the friendliest, happiest girl, she loves to fly to me and crawl all over us and get her head rubbed.
Anyway 10 days after getting her we decided to get her clutch mate sister as she was still available. The sister was even easier than the first to handle at the Breeder and travelled home well. Unfortunately at home there was a mishap where she flew out of the cage while I changed water and crashed and fell into a box. Along with the usual adjustment it’s taken at least at week for her to feel ok with me right next to the cage. I can now clean out the cage and put food in without her getting too reactive. Experienced people have told me if I don’t handle her soon it will never happen willingly.
Sorry for this long post but she is a lovely bird and I’m worried she won’t have the same quality of life if I can’t let her fly freely and move her easily in and out of the cage.
I talk to her a lot and spend a lot of time sitting with her so I am lower, the first bird is in a cage next to her and they will chirp a bit but the first bird is more bonded to us.
Should I move the first bird into a separate room to allow the 2nd bird to bond more with me?
I just don’t want to stuff this up anymore than it is. I’ve made some progress but I’m afraid she’ll just be very independent

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Celli sounds like such a lovely girl! You've made fantastic progress with her.

Moving your new 'tiel into a separate room will make the bonding and taming process easier, but it may stress out your two girls by separating them and it's not so necessary when you've got tame birds to start with. To win her trust you could try holding a piece of millet spray in your hand near her to get her to associate your hands and fingers with something positive.

Did your new 'tiel get injured at all when she crash-landed? It sounds like she freaked out and is still a bit shaken, but once she has properly settled into her new home and environment and has bonded to you a bit more she should be more relaxed when coming out of the cage. Young 'tiels are typically clumsy at flying and it takes them a bit to work it out, especially in a new home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the advice, I wanted to let you know we’ve made a lot of progress with Bella our second Tiel. Once she was calm enough to sit very close to me in her cage I casually left her door open while the other Tiel Celli was out , she eventually flew out and I just observed. She spent most of the day out and my idea was she will eventually get hungry enough to overcome her trepidation (I felt the cage was adding to the stress and she needed more space.) well by the afternoon she was getting on our hands to eat if we sat on the floor and we were able to get her back to the cage by the afternoon. She is now happy to eat out of our hands and seems to love sitting on our heads and shoulders.
I have to be careful as she is more easily frightened than Celli, but I wanted to say thanks for the advice, it gets better every day. She now chirps at us and both Tiels are now living together in a big flight cage. Funnily they both seem a little competitive with each other but I think they both like having another Tiel around.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are also getting our first tiel in a few weeks, from a breeder who is currently weaning, hand feeding. We have a very large, open converted barn with high ceilings. Eight people, two dogs, plus the usual assortment of lizards, finches and fish. It’s a busy household, with lots of coming and going. My big question (besides diet) is wing clipping. It will start out in my sons room (his bird) until it settles in and is comfortable. But I am torn between safety and the best bird life. If it can’t fly from the floor, it could be a real problem, until the dogs are trained to leave the bird alone. They are excellent at ‘drop it’, but anything can happen. But the doors are a problem, and the 12 foot ceilings...lots of room to fly, tho! Advice?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice, I wanted to let you know we’ve made a lot of progress with Bella our second Tiel. Once she was calm enough to sit very close to me in her cage I casually left her door open while the other Tiel Celli was out , she eventually flew out and I just observed. She spent most of the day out and my idea was she will eventually get hungry enough to overcome her trepidation (I felt the cage was adding to the stress and she needed more space.) well by the afternoon she was getting on our hands to eat if we sat on the floor and we were able to get her back to the cage by the afternoon. She is now happy to eat out of our hands and seems to love sitting on our heads and shoulders.
I have to be careful as she is more easily frightened than Celli, but I wanted to say thanks for the advice, it gets better every day. She now chirps at us and both Tiels are now living together in a big flight cage. Funnily they both seem a little competitive with each other but I think they both like having another Tiel around.
Thanks again!
That's great to hear! You are doing such a great job with both of them. They both sound like wonderfully natured 'tiels. :)

Ah, they can bicker with each other but still be best of friends. Even bonded pairs argue like old married couples sometimes. It's normal as long as no one is getting hurt.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
We are also getting our first tiel in a few weeks, from a breeder who is currently weaning, hand feeding. We have a very large, open converted barn with high ceilings. Eight people, two dogs, plus the usual assortment of lizards, finches and fish. It’s a busy household, with lots of coming and going. My big question (besides diet) is wing clipping. It will start out in my sons room (his bird) until it settles in and is comfortable. But I am torn between safety and the best bird life. If it can’t fly from the floor, it could be a real problem, until the dogs are trained to leave the bird alone. They are excellent at ‘drop it’, but anything can happen. But the doors are a problem, and the 12 foot ceilings...lots of room to fly, tho! Advice?
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Wing clipping is a personal choice but I am against it, especially when you have predator animals in the house. If the flight feathers are clipped too short your 'tiel will still try to fly and will drop like a rock to the ground and possibly injure itself, and there's no escape from other animals in that situation. I would advise to keep your dogs separated from your cockatiel anyway, it's a risk I wouldn't take. 'Tiels need their exercise and they truly enjoy flying (once they learn how to!). A proper clip should be done by a vet and should allow the bird to still fly and glide, but not gain so much height.

It's your choice but if you have concerns, perhaps don't get your bird clipped to begin with as it will take several months to molt out those clipped feathers. It sounds like your cockatiel will be tame from the start so you may not need to worry about him/her flying too high, as he/she will be glued to your shoulder! You can also harness train them (best to start with a young bird). The Aviator Harness is the best bird harness out there in my opinion and it is escape proof. Attached is a pic of my girl Mabel in her Aviator Harness.

If you have any more questions, please start your own thread as you will get more views and answers this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you! I couldn’t figure out how to post...hence the ‘add on’. My son ( who will be the birds main owner) does not want his bird clipped either. The breeder seems determined to clip, despite our concerns. Yes, our dogs will be introduced at a much later date, and only with gates and close attention. They are well behaved...but I lost a sweet budgie years ago, when our dog barked loudly next to it. It simply keeled over...heart attack, I think. So, no dogs will be part of the long introductory process, for sure!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Pick a category under Forums such as 'Cockatiel Talk' on the left-hand side of the page. There is a 'New Thread' button above everyone else's threads, click on that and you will be able to start your own thread.

I would be very firm with the breeder about not wanting your 'tiel clipped. It's your bird and you have the right to have a say in the matter. Clipping a young 'tiel can cause a lot of problems down the line because of never learning to fly at the age they are meant to, so their wing muscles take a long time to strengthen and it takes them longer to learn how to fly once the clip does grow out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts