Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm a first time cockatiel owner I have 2 the first is a lutino which I purchased from a lady who said she'd only had him/her for a week she said he was 16 weeks old hand tame and wing clipped and she had to rehome him due to him hating her ring necked parakeet and being terrified of it!
On arriving to see him I found him sat on a playstand seemingly content and happyish to have his head rubbed, the parakeet was in what i would describe as a very small budgie cage alongside him there was no sign of another cage and when i asked she said the cockatiels cage was out back......... though I strongly suspect they had been kept in the little cage together!
she told me the vet had clipped his wings as she had lost 2 parakeets that month due to them flying out of open windows!
Anyway I took the bird as much as anything else to get him out of there although he is a verry pretty little thing!
on getting him home I've noticed his tail seems to have been cut too??? and the wing clip isnt like anything I've seen during my research?? The bird cant fly at all ! I've attached pics (hopefully) . My initial question is will his feathers grow back and will his tail being cut impede him at the moment in any way??? Thanks x Aargh i cant add pics!! his tail is kinda cut straight across and his wings seem to have had all the bottom feathers cut apart from one or two at the end there is also evidence of old bleeding!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm in the West Midlands too :)

That clip sounds like an utter disgrace. Could the ringneck have attacked it? Considering the blood and all... I had a cockatiel given to me as a baby when it was actually an older female that they had clipped horribly wrong and they'd even cut her crest down!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally managed to upload pics! i think!
I will be feeding them on the vitakraft australian mix , harrisons pellets and of course fresh veggies..... if i can ever get them to eat them ! any thoughts guys ?? particularly on the Australian mix? thanks x

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
O my goodness...that's absolutely horrid. I don't think there is a vet out there that would cut a bird up like that. She'll molt all those feathers out eventually, but flying is going to be really hard on her for a while. You can help her build up her chest muscles by letting her sit on your hand and flap while you move your hand up and down. No wonder she drops like a rock!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts