Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiels have a large cage, but are able to fly around the bedroom. They've made a nest on top of my wardrobe and she's laid 5 eggs. They are both being very attentive and sharing sitting duties. I'm uncertain if the eggs are fertile as I'm not able to reach them.
My question is, should I move them to a safer, more secure place, or leave them alone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello! My persenal opinion is to leave them alone. If you hear chirping though, I would move it, then show the birds where the new spot is. Hope you find this helpful!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you trying to breed them? Are the eggs fertile? Dispose of them if they are infertile, move them to a nest box if they are fertile and want to breed. I would caution against breeding though.

·
Registered
cockatiels
99 Posts
My tiels have a large cage, but are able to fly around the bedroom. They've made a nest on top of my wardrobe and she's laid 5 eggs. They are both being very attentive and sharing sitting duties. I'm uncertain if the eggs are fertile as I'm not able to reach them.
My question is, should I move them to a safer, more secure place, or leave them alone?
You need to be a well experienced tiel owner to allow, or know, about breeding. The male will find any dark, safe place to find nest if not given a nest box, even if not right and not given a breeding box. This is a big thing to take on. Don't move the "nest" before parents have been sitting on eggs for some 21 days. Then she will leave the eggs as unfertile. She will simply lay again which is taxing to her health and perhaps deadly to her. The male tiel, even if tame, will dive bomb you if you come too close to the percieved nest.
Nest box or not, don't breed unless you really know what you're doing and all it involves. A lot of work and attention to the needs go into breeding and the heartache of failure, even if you're doing everything right. Just because you have a boy and girl, doesn't mean you should breed them. I'm thinking the bedroom is perhaps the worst place to allow breeding.
The girls, partner or not, if tame to you will lay eggs naturally as they see you as their 'mate', not necessarily the boy.
If the birds are in your bedroom, not experienced enough to even consider breeding a pair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to be a well experienced tiel owner to allow, or know, about breeding. The male will find any dark, safe place to find nest if not given a nest box, even if not right and not given a breeding box. This is a big thing to take on. Don't move the "nest" before parents have been sitting on eggs for some 21 days. Then she will leave the eggs as unfertile. She will simply lay again which is taxing to her health and perhaps deadly to her. The male tiel, even if tame, will dive bomb you if you come too close to the percieved nest.
Nest box or not, don't breed unless you really know what you're doing and all it involves. A lot of work and attention to the needs go into breeding and the heartache of failure, even if you're doing everything right. Just because you have a boy and girl, doesn't mean you should breed them. I'm thinking the bedroom is perhaps the worst place to allow breeding.
The girls, partner or not, if tame to you will lay eggs naturally as they see you as their 'mate', not necessarily the boy.
If the birds are in your bedroom, not experienced enough to even consider breeding a pair.
I've had pet cockatiels for over 40 years, so not a complete novice. They're in my bedroom because I've moved in with my elderly dad to care for him, and he has a cat. they are both tame and still interacting with me. I'll just keep them safe and let them get on with it

·
Registered
cockatiels
99 Posts
I've had pet cockatiels for over 40 years, so not a complete novice. They're in my bedroom because I've moved in with my elderly dad to care for him, and he has a cat. they are both tame and still interacting with me. I'll just keep them safe and let them get on with it

·
Registered
cockatiels
99 Posts
I'm so sorry for assuming. As they say, assumptions are never good :( You didn't point out that you were a long time tiel owner in first post. I understand your situation as I had to do the same on a semi basis with my Mum disappearing with Alzheimers, just moving between two homes as my tiels needed me as much as Mum needed me before she had to go into full-time care. Wouldn't have changed it for the world. She died 2 years ago at the ripe age of 96 1/2 and now understand why you keep them in your room. Cats/dogs don't go well with birds...just a mouthful away from an unexpected meal. Just don't change the dynamics of nesting options unless you actually want them to breed. I won't go there as full of heartache of it doesn't work out :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts