Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Looking for some advise. I’ve been in contact with someone who has hand tamed Tiels as I’m preparing for a second bird to give my Donald some company when I’m out and to hopefully bring some more noise to my flat as Donald is a very quiet Tiel ( maybe the odd squeal when I leave the room for too long). Daisy who I lost was very vocal and I have to admit I miss it as annoying as it was sometimes but a nice annoying if that makes sense.
anyway, the one I’m looking at it a male and is 6 months old. I’m concerned that he won’t take to me as he may possibly be bonded to his current owner
Would it be feasible to bond with him or should I wait for a younger one

·
Registered
714 Posts
I find that the younger the bird, the easier it is to bond with them. If you are determined and have lots of time though, I say you try for the 6 month old male. I breed cockatiels and I find that when they stay with me longer, they will attach to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find that the younger the bird, the easier it is to bond with them. If you are determined and have lots of time though, I say you try for the 6 month old male. I breed cockatiels and I find that when they stay with me longer, they will attach to me.
This is my concern. I’ve seen a video and the owner is petting them and they seem content with that, but as you say the younger is easier to bond with. There’s a high chance they’re bonded to him even if he doesn’t know it. End of the day he’s their handler.
Time wise I’m working 10 hours a day weekdays but they get me all evening and most weekends. It’s nowhere near where I would like but I have no other alternative, other than sending away Donald.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All done
I’ve been in contact with another breeder who has hand tamed females, only 8 weeks old. Asked to reserve one for pick up next week.
my only concern now going forward is the future possibility of babies. But we will cross that bridge when/if it comes.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm glad you were able to decide what was best for you. Do you know whether the cockatiel you're planning on getting is male or female? If your other cockatiel is a male, then you wouldn't have to worry about babies and you'd have (hopefully) more noise in your house if you get a male. I have two males, and they are very vocal!!! 😆. They can't talk, but they do love to sing and whistle! If you happen to get a male cockatiel, he might just get the other one singing as well. 😊

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad you were able to decide what was best for you. Do you know whether the cockatiel you're planning on getting is male or female? If your other cockatiel is a male, then you wouldn't have to worry about babies and you'd have (hopefully) more noise in your house if you get a male. I have two males, and they are very vocal!!! 😆. They can't talk, but they do love to sing and whistle! If you happen to get a male cockatiel, he might just get the other one singing as well. 😊
The breeder hasn’t got back to me yet. But they are all female Tiel he’s got. So yes there will be a risk of future babies. I’m hoping that a second Tiel might give me a bit more noise. My little Daisy, who I lost was very vocal which was unusual. Donald would just perch somewhere quiet, whilst she’d scream a little whistle in his ear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts