Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I've had my young hen for a couple of months now and I want to get her a brilliant cage! The one she's in at the moment is ok but it's the minimum size for a cockatiel. She's let out everyday but I hate seeing her in a small cage!

I don't know why most cages are tall instead of wide... I want her to be able to fly in it properly. I guess what I am looking for is a nice flight cage!

I am from the UK so it has to be delivered here. Any links would be fantastic!!!

Thanks in advance from me and Baby!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm also waiting for a similar cage like Tequilagirl mentioned but it's from Liberta same specs different coloring only I think ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00TYK3A0O/ ) it will be here in 2 days so I will post some pics also. After a lot of research last week these types of cages (flight / breeding) are the best and probably only choices to have width over height.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
507 Posts
No cage is big enough for a bird to truly fly in. Maybe something tiny like a finch... but for any actual flight exercise, you're looking at an aviary or total bird room.

That being said, big cages are still a must. The Hamberly cage linked above is very similar to the A&E flight. It's a great cage. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dependent upon how often you take out your tiel, a HUGE cage might not be completely necessary. I understand wanting to get one regardless of how often your tiel gets out though. Spoil your children :)

For proper flight however, you'll be better off taking your bird out of the cage and doing fight exercises that way.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Kudos for wanting to get your baby a decent sized home! Regardless of how much a bird spends outside of the cage, I still think a large cage is a must. There should be enough room for lots of toys, a few food/water dishes and different textured perches.

I REALLY don't understand why most cages (particularly the cheap ones) are built tall instead of wide. Birds don't fly up and down, and even birds that love climbing will tend to avoid the bottom half of the cage because birds like to be up high.

As a general rule of thumb, a bird's cage should be at minimum double the bird's wing span in width. My girls like to flap on everything they think belongs to them so having lots of wing-room is essential. Lots of room for the bird to monkey around while caged is an absolute necessity. A bored bird is an unhappy bird so there should be heaps of room for foraging toys and stuff they can shred.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts