Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this short, but I'm sorry if I ramble
I have a cockatiel, he had been free-flying since we moved into my flat 3 years ago and has "free reign" over a whole room and very VERY close supervision (he stays on or near me at all times) everywhere else.
We currently live in a one-bedroom flat so there isn't much room for a huge cage (his current one is roughly 24"×24"×18") or many perches actually made for pet birds but I might be moving back in with my parents soon so that I can go back to college. They live in a 3 bedroom (One is very small and will likely become his room) house with a fairly large living room. Now the problem is my parents have two cats. They're both getting on and have never bothered with the bird, even when they where kittens, but you can never be too safe with cats.
I have two options at the moment. My first being to buy a large cage for the living room to fill with toys, puzzles, treats, etc. Solely for playtime so Barney can still be around us during the day and be interacted with. The second is to deck out the smallest bedroom for him and work out of there outside of classes. He likes to cuddle and nibble me while I paint (all digital, don't worry) anyway so it wouldn't be too new for either of us but I would like him to be able to spend as much time around us humans as possible instead of having to be alone when I need to interact with people.
My worry with the big cage in the living room is that I've heard about smaller parrots breaking bones and really hurting themselves because they're put in those cages. He would never be left in that cage without supervision but I don't know if those things can happen with people around too.
I know I always have the option to rehome him, but understand that Barney has been with my family since before I turned two. I have never known life without him, and he has never really known life without us. It would break my heart to have to let him go so I really want that to be a very last resort. I and my parents would sell an arm and a leg each for the best for any of the animals, so if anyone has any advice or ideas for what I can do for him then please help. I was set on getting a big cage until my aunt started talking about how this happened to her friend's bird and how that happened to her sister's bird, you can see where the anxiety is coming from.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You current cage is fine. Cockatiel, especially a few year old of cockatiels is pretty much " perch potato ". They only fly a few times a day. As long as cockatiel get enough out of cage time, I will say your current one is good enough. Make sure to use nature perches and have different size of perches in cage as least one large diameter perch (1.5" to 2").

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have never heard of birds breaking bones in a big cage. You have to get an appropriate size for your tiels. I think a bigger cage is better (like feet, not inches) so they have room to move and play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts