Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this site and to Cockatiel ownership. We recently, about 1 week ago, purchased an adult Cockatiel that we found in the local paper. The previous owners didn't know his(?) age, as someone else gave him(?) to them. He was in a pretty small cage, and when I saw the butcher job that had been done on his wings, I knew we could not leave there without him. I don't think he was abused, I just don't know anything about his past.

We named him Gypsy, his previous owners were calling him Gray. We got him a much bigger cage with a lot of toys, we still use his smaller cage for sleeping at night, so we can put him in a quieter area through the night. We also got him a playground to hang out on during the day, so he is hardly ever in his cage in the daytime.

He doesn't really play with toys and doesn't eat much other than millet and seed, although I have been able to get him to eat some spinach over the last couple of days. He has fallen in love with my son and wants to be with him all the time. If my son puts him down to go to the other room, he screams and tries to get to him.

He hasn't bitten anyone, but likes to mouth us a lot. I don't know if that is normal.

I have a couple of questions maybe you could help me with.
Yesterday, he was mad all day. He kept biting my son, for the first time ever, and acted aggressively towards me when I tried to get him to step up on to my finger. Why might he be doing this?

I know my son will always be his favorite, they are alone together all day. But how can my daughter and I bond more with him?

What are some ways we can calm him down when he starts acting aggressively?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this long post!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just some tips for you... Don't put too many toys in the cage as they need to be able to stretch their wings fully if they want to and it's probably best to introduce one toy at a time rathe than over whelming him with loads at once. With most birds they will bond with just one person and tolerate someone else if the bonded person isn't around but don't forget it's still early days he's made a lot of progress already by bonding with your son so give him time he will become the bird he is meant to be soon enough. Try not to force him to do things or hold him wait for him to come to you or coax with food and treats make it worth his effort. And well done for taking him from a horrible situation

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Biting is a tiels way of saying "No I don't want to do this." So when he's doing it, he's trying to tell you doesn't like whatever it is you're doing. You can always try to approach the issue another way, attempting to get him to do what you want in another way.

If he does act aggressively, you can put him in time out. It sounds like he's bonding to your son, so if your son sets him down for a bit he'll probably calm down and want to be with him again.

Bonding to one person is normal. He may not ever like you or your daughter as much as he likes your son. You both can try to feed him to get him to accept you more but your son is always going to be his main person.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What do you do when a bird starts acting aggressive? Wait it out. Mine gets a little excited during head scritches sometimes and will get nippy for a split second then go back to bowing his head. Becareful trying to punish the bird, unless you get your timing right the bird will not make the connection between undesired behavior and getting perched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gypsy is doing Great!

Thank you all for your responses! Any tips are so helpful.

Fran.bath89 - Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questiuons!

Most of the toys are on his playpen, there are just a couple in his daytime cage and none in his nighttime cage. He loves to be held, he will "step up" onto anyones hand when he is in his cage or on his playpen.

Roxy Culver - He hasn't every bitten anyone hard, he just mouths our fingers a lot.
I don't know what he is trying to tell us by doing this, or if he is just exploring us.

We never force him to do anything, he is very social and curious.

He is becoming more and more comfortable in our house. I have been able to get him to eat broccoli and spinach, although he still prefers his seeds to anything else. We will keep offering him new foods.

He hasn't played with a single toy yet. He has access to toys we have bought and ones we make, but he hasn't been interested at all.

He has continued bonding with my son. His favorite place is on his head, he gently, and sometimes not so gently, pecks and pecks at his head. What does this mean?

If my son gives him to me or my daughter to go to the bathroom, he screams loudly and flies after him, and tries to find him. It is really neat that they have bonded so well. They are in perfect sync, when he is on his shoulder and he plops down onto the couch, Gypsy automatically moves to his chest. It is a great thing to see.

Another thing we have found is he doesn't like water at all. When we got him, his water dish was just a milk jug lid, I don't know if he has ever had a bath. I have sprayed him twice with warm water in a spray bottle, just a light mist. He runs away from it. Any ideas on how to get him used to water so he can bathe himself?

Sometimes, he will get aggressive with my son, and he immediately puts him in his cage. How long do we leave him there before we take him out again. It breaks my heart!

Thanks again for reading and responding to my post!

Have a wonderful day!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Yeah...most of my birds dislike water. I just keep on plugging way with the spray mister. Sooner or later they associate it with fun times :) I do a little dance and spray myself. The birds know that's when the water is coming and those that hate the spray mister can run away, LOL.

As for how long a time out should be - I would say no shorter than a minute and no longer than five minutes. Perhaps someone else has a more accurate description of a Time out, LOL. I generally don't use 'em just because I've found other ways of handling biting.

As for the fid pecking at your son's head - could he be grooming him? If so, it's an ultimate sign of affection. You son should be pleased :D

And before I head off - playing with toys. Some birds have to learn how to play with toys. I like to take a new toy and bonk it with my nose for a while. Bells are popular as are cheereos on a shoelace. My cockatiels love the toys made out of cardboard, and pretty much anything that can be shredded and destroyed. I have a couple of birds that are masters at untying knots!

Overall, congratulations on the new fid and keep us updated on how he fares ! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts