Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocko is addicted to the Zip on all my jackets and jumpers and if I remove him from it he flys right back to it and starts playing with it and sometimes if I bring him out on the harness he just sticks right to my stomach and plays with the Zip and I dont even know if its safe for him but one of my jumpers has a string Zip so I know thats safe but the metal Zips what about them also how can I get him to stop playing with it all together sometimes its annoying when he just jumps on to me.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's not a good idea to let birds chew on any kind of unidentified metal because they are at risk for heavy metal poisoning.

You can train him to stop chewing on it the same way you'd train any other behavior -- give him treats when he's leaving the zipper alone. When he starts chewing on the zipper, calmly stop him from doing it.

Or, you may have to quit wearing clothes where he can chew on the zipper for his safety.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a good idea to let birds chew on any kind of unidentified metal because they are at risk for heavy metal poisoning.

You can train him to stop chewing on it the same way you'd train any other behavior -- give him treats when he's leaving the zipper alone. When he starts chewing on the zipper, calmly stop him from doing it.

Or, you may have to quit wearing clothes where he can chew on the zipper for his safety.
I think when were out ill just bring tissues and let him sit on my shoulder so he cant get near it I only wear hoodies and jackets on cold days anyway and most days are warm.Good thing Loki dosent chew on my Zip otherwise they would be fighting for it.Also Rocko and Loki were both hanging out together in his cage but Rocko is still a little nippy towards him is it normal for birds to peck each other sometimes if they are in the way.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leave them alone unless one is actually harming the other.
Ok except for the pecking they are getting along good everyday when I open Lokis cage he goes right into Rockos cage they are always out of their cages for the whole day and usually if I need to go somewhere Rocko comes with me Loki will too when he gets harness trained and that wont be for a while because im still taming him and I dont wanna rush things.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Sounds like things are going well. It's rare for cockatiels to actually hurt one another because they are flock animals by nature and have a pretty laidback demeanor. So the risk is low. But if you were to notice the kind of aggression that was leading to actual injuries, then you'd want to make sure they stayed completely separate at all times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts