Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, yesterday Hercules became very noisy, much more than usual. Out of the cage he appears frightened of everything and very skittish. Any noise or movement anywhere seems to effect him. Nothing has changed at home in relation to him except I am in process of changing his diet to a pellet diet.
He is moulting right now and earlier today a huge piece of keratin fell off about an inch long and cylindrical. I am squirting a plumage spray on him daily that the vet says is good for him. I also give him a vitamin water supplement.

Any information on the distinct mood change would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
First off, stop the vitamin water supplement immediately (unless your vet has directly instructed you to use it). Once it's in the water you have no idea how much your tiel is actually getting and it's very easy to overdose the bird because of this.

I'm not sure about the odd behavior. If nobody else on here has any answers I would definitely talk to the vet about it.

Also, a tiel's diet is best as a mixture of about half and half seed/pellets and as many fruits/veggies as they'll eat. If you have a seed junkie who will ignore pellets if there's seed in the cage you can try nutriberries (or a similar brand). Some users suggested it to me on here and it's worked great for Kirby and I. I give him 1-2 berries in the morning and in the evening, and then he has pellets available all day.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I give him 1-2 berries in the morning and in the evening, and then he has pellets available all day
Did you mean seeds? Nutriberries are supposed to take the place of pellets not seeds. This is just giving him pellets all the time if you are doing this. Nutriberries are for seed junkies who won't touch pellets to get the nutrients that pellets provide.

Anyways, molting is a very stressful time for a tiel. This could be why he's so jumpy at the moment. Stress can cause them to lose a little bit of weight as well. I would just keep an eye on him, he may have had a scare and is now coping with it. They're skittish little guys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts