Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have gone with the name "Spook" instead of Chewy (when I was originally deciding between the two!) She is a spaz, she will spook if someone sneezes and flutter across the room (I say flutter because she blows her flight feathers about once a month). Her direction of choice lately is directly across the floor, no matter what part of the room she is in, and straight down the stairs :eek:

she always seems to land ok, but yesterday when hubby came home she was startled by the sound of the door and ended up greeting him with her fright at the front door down the stairs. A little while later I noticed this nick on her face :( it doesn't seem to be bothering her and wasn't actively bleeding, I have no idea what she even hit it on. Poor girl, I wish she would just settle down. It's almost like she have nervous anxiety or something.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Poor girl! Is she nervous and shaky all the time or just when something startles her? My tiel always startles when I cough... used to do it when I sneezed too but he's getting better about it. Maybe there is a vitamin or something you can give her to calm her nerves?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not all the time, her triggers are mainly unexpected noises, so it's hard for me to try and prevent her reactions because I usually don't know when they are coming either :( otherwise she's fine, she's just a strange girl :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Poor Chewy! D:

Does she get night frights too? My friend uses one of those sleep recorder phone apps and places it next to their parrot's cage so if they have a night fright they can see what caused it. Maybe a white noise machine would take the edge off of some of the scary noises for her?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Poor girl! I can relate though, because Joey is the same with unexpected noises, and if we carry something like a flyswatter, Swiffer duster or broom. Anything with a handle seems to cause a freak out. And Heaven help him if he sees a fly or a gnat! It is endearing at times when he is spooked and looks to one of us for reassurance. Still, I wish sometimes he was braver. He is better than he used to be, but sometimes I wonder if he needs some birdie anti anxiety meds or something.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh no! Poor "Spook" :eek: Coco is a very nervous, accident-prone 'tiel too. Honey is accident prone without the nerves (she's bold instead of flighty). With Coco, he's probably like that because I "baby" him a lot, and always have. He also has a botched wing, so that worsens the situation. He's getting better though -- the other day he figured out how to get down from the curtain without my assistance. It took a while, but he finally managed. I think sometimes it's a confidence thing.

I hope Chewy will grow out of it. It seems to be quite a common behaviour in young cockatiels. Sorry I can't be of any more help!

·
Registered
786 Posts
JoJo was a little flighty when someone knocked on the door. He got better as time went on, but now and then it still spooked him. He got night frights occasionally too, but once I put a night light by his cage it stopped. Hope your little one calms a little, its always awful to see them scared like that.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
accident prone

Hi Jill - My previous 'tiel Meshach would freak out when I sneezed, too. I had her for nearly 13 years and she never got over that. And I do not have a loud sneeze like some people. In fact, I always tried ti stifle it once I knew how scared she got. But if she was on my shoulder when I sneezed, she'd screech and fly off across the room. Sometimes she'd do the same thing even if she was on top of her cage. Sneezes don't seem to bother Bennie a bit. Funny birds!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Zappy is exactly like Chewy. I started him on AviCalm a few weeks ago, and there is already a noticeable difference. He doesn't react as strongly to sounds, and he's going to bed without a fuss! You should try it!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! She used to have night frights (that's how she broke her leg when she was 6 months) but she has been pretty good since, maybe 3 or 4 in the almost 2 years we have had her after the injury. We usually have the TV on when we are home and I leave a radio on when we are at work so it's never really silent for the birds. It's so hard seeing our fids in distress, she usually gets over it pretty quickly though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts