Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got Kimchee 4 months ago and she was tamed. She has never been as nice as others. I almost think she was abused. She has definetly bonded to me strongly. But she HATES to be picked up. She is fine perching on me or my finger but she screams bloody murder and bites when I grabb her to hold her. I don't do it often, just to clip her nails. She has major trust issues. She loves me. And trusts me. But she spends a lot of time with my dad and still doesn't like him. I'm thinking she was owned by a kid who didn't try to abuse her. But she is scared to death of the sink. So maybe the kid would grab her and put her in the sink. IDK. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Doesn't sound abused. Sounds like a normal tiel that is scared of it's own shadow. I have yet to meet one that likes to be picked up and forced to have it's nails clipped. And sinks? Tiels are scared of anything that does not look normal to them. Tiels tend to bond to one person, so if that's you then no matter how much time your dad spends with the bird, it's not going to become his bff because it has you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Flash is a 6 months old and bred at my home, Flash has never been abused by anyone. But he hates to be held, he is happy to sit on shoulders, heads, jump onto fingers, but try to put your hand around him and all **** breaks loose. A friend of ours adopted him and he has bonded to her, she brings him here quite often and he will come to my partner or myself reluctantly, but if Kim is in the room, we don't get a look in with him. Sounds like your cockatiel is pretty normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was advised to buy a nail file so when my boys are sitting comfortably on my shoulder on my knee I just file them ever so gently. They aren't 100% happy with it but I'd rather them bite the file than bite me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts