Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this an abnormal amount of feathers to wake up to in the bottom of my cage? I thought molting would be more gradual than this. This is from two birds. The fact that it is mostly primary feathers has me worried. I've had a few of the grey ones here and there on occasion and I have checked both of my birds and it's not from a single bird, it's both of them losing a few of these each.

They're acting normal as far as I can tell, could they have just had a bad night fright that I wasn't aware of and this happened? They're both on my shoulders grinding their beaks in my ears right now, as per our usual morning routine.

I got these birds just weened on Sept 12th. They can't be more than 5m old.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Sometimes when there's a night fright, birds get their wings caught in the cage bars and rip out a bunch of primaries. But if there's no sign of injury and no blood in the tips of the lost feathers, most likely it's from a molt. Either way, if they aren't injured or acting distressed, there's nothing for you to do.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
They look like molted feathers to me, ends are dry and not bloody or fleshy, they also look to be mostly in pairs and birds will molt the wing feathers in pairs to try and remain balanced in flight.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I've woken up to that many, during two separate molts, from one bird. The first time it startled me, the second I was better prepared for it. I did check them repeatedly, both times, to make sure there was no blood or signs of injury. What is normal for our feathered buddies can sometimes be scary for us humans until we get used to it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Welcome to 'OMG is there another bird in the cage?' season :D My guys will drop a ton of feathers - so much so that one fears they've cloned themselves and left their duplicates on the bottom of the cage :) The chaos should last about a month. :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Welcome to 'OMG is there another bird in the cage?' season :D My guys will drop a ton of feathers - so much so that one fears they've cloned themselves and left their duplicates on the bottom of the cage :) The chaos should last about a month. :)
Yup. :D At the worst of each molt, I find myself telling Joey I could build another bird with all his feathers. There have been times I have expected to either wake up in the morning, or come home from work in the afternoon, to find him naked.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
My guys have had undamaged feathers like these come out during a night fright, so it could've been that. Or a burst of molting. Sometimes they will lose quite a few feathers in one go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks!

I think they just had a really bad night fright. They're both absolutely fine now with no signs of being distressed. I've added a bit brighter night light to their room and I put a light blocking curtain over my window in case it was brought on by a passing car, their room is in the front of my house nearest the road. Last night was feather free so hopefully we'll be right as rain. Thank you for all of your comments!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts