Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abby has a vet visit tomorrow at 9:30 am :) I told the receptionist that I was probably being paranoid but it's better to be safe than sorry, especially after losing Fuzz Ball :( Abby's crop is emptier than it's been since yesterday, but its still got a pea sized amount of formula in there.

I love baby birds, but the slow crop problem can be unnerving. Sigh.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Slow crop freaking sucks -_-
If you can, get your vet to show you how to do a crop flush. It's super easy and it'll save you on vet visits in the future! It has probably saved me around $300 in consults already lmao.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I would try adding some pau d' arco to the formula when you feed her. This was suggested to me years ago when I was having issues with baby tiels and it worked for three of mine. I added it to the parents water but since you are hand feeding, adding a small amount (2-3 drops) to the formula might help.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would try adding some pau d' arco to the formula when you feed her. This was suggested to me years ago when I was having issues with baby tiels and it worked for three of mine. I added it to the parents water but since you are hand feeding, adding a small amount (2-3 drops) to the formula might help.
Never heard of pau D'arco before. Where do you normally find it? I aught to give it a try :)

Otherwise, Back from the Vets. Got the vet I liked (Yaaay). Abby has a mild case of Pneumonia and is on three meds to combat it and her slow crop: One antibiotic, one anti fungal and one gut motility med to make sure her crop empties. I'm to have a follow up vet visit on Monday eve to make sure she's okay and if not, they'll do a crop wash then. I am sooo glad I brought her to the vets!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You find it with the other extracts like tea tree oil and such. I found it at a vitamin superstore in Washington when I lived there. It was something srtiels suggested to me.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You find it with the other extracts like tea tree oil and such. I found it at a vitamin superstore in Washington when I lived there. It was something srtiels suggested to me.
Cool! Thanks for the heads up :) I'll have to check it out the next time I'm out by Vitahealth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts