Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i live in queens new york, and no i cant look in adverts cuz there arent any adverts about bitds in the newspaper so.. can u recommand me any breeder? and how do i even meet with him if hes not a store??

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i live in queens new york, and no i cant look in adverts cuz there arent any adverts about bitds in the newspaper so.. can u recommand me any breeder? and how do i even meet with him if hes not a store??
As Laura said, look in Google or any other search engines, try typing in cockatiel breeders in Queens, New York or something like that. They will list a phone number/email so you can contact them through that. Try advertising sites as well. Some breeders do it as a private hobby and might not advertise as a "breeder" if you know what I mean. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i dont know guys, i guess i cant get a cockatiel because i think its a hassle looking for a breeder now and god knows who the breeder is or how he raised the keet, and this store buy was direct thats why i considered it, can u tell me tho, what exactly would be the steps to teach the white tiel that the guy from the store is selling to teach him to step up and be tame? put my hand in the cage everyday and not move it until he gets used to it? the guy said hes used to that tho its just that he wil bite if u try to grab him or make him step up. so yea lets say that i bought him , how would i work with him everyday?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
i dont know guys, i guess i cant get a cockatiel because i think its a hassle looking for a breeder now and god knows who the breeder is or how he raised the keet, and this store buy was direct thats why i considered it, can u tell me tho, what exactly would be the steps to teach the white tiel that the guy from the store is selling to teach him to step up and be tame? put my hand in the cage everyday and not move it until he gets used to it? the guy said hes used to that tho its just that he wil bite if u try to grab him or make him step up. so yea lets say that i bought him , how would i work with him everyday?
Hi. I gave you a link prev. to this site- here are the exact articles from the site
http://cockatielcottage.net/bite2.html
http://cockatielcottage.net/bite.html

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
its really not that much of hassle finding a breeder there are lots out there you mentioned god knows who the breeder is or how it would be raised thats where it takes the time to talk to the breeder and go visit the tiel at the breeders and get to know them there are people that buy cockatiels from petstores there are a few on here with them but most were younger and already tame, your talking about a possibly one year old tiel and you still have no idea of its background or how it was treated, if your really considering getting the tiel knowing that its not tame I would do some reading on how to tame it here is a link how to stop Cockatiels from biting
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/bite2.html

haha....Aly great minds think alike

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
A tiel is a big commitment (as is any pet). The initial search and out right cost shouldn't be massive deciding factors. You'll have to provide loving care for 20 or more years, and that includes vet care which costs upwards of $60 each visit.

In my opinion you would be better off saving some money so that you can buy a decent cage and hand raised baby. :) I think you would have a lot more fun right from the start that way. Buying a pet shouldn't be done impulsively in the fastest and cheapest way possible.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
A tiel is a big commitment (as is any pet). The initial search and out right cost shouldn't be massive deciding factors. You'll have to provide loving care for 20 or more years, and that includes vet care which costs upwards of $60 each visit.

In my opinion you would be better off saving some money so that you can buy a decent cage and hand raised baby. :) I think you would have a lot more fun right from the start that way. Buying a pet shouldn't be done impulsively in the fastest and cheapest way possible.
I agree Bea- well put. A tiel is by no means cheap.;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
hey all i just came back from the store again and i actually spoke to the guy in the store, guys that tiel is a SWEETIE! it isnt biting at all , he is just moving away because he is new to hands, he said he is from 6 months to a year and it is 100% a male, now regarding the cage, everyone has their own mind and what not and i can get a 18x18x24 cage and its basically just fine, i spoke to a vet about it which is my relative, she said that a bigger is always better but in 18x18x24 it should be fine and happy, she said that she seen people with tiels that are living in parakeet cages, far smaller than 18x18x24, so yea she said its just fine, she said i could also buy the same cage its just that its taller, it costs 10$ more, but i think the one that costs 60 is just enough, so i got an idea of a vet about this cage thing so im good with that, all i need to buy is the tiel and the cage, btw the guy was raising them in his house he just didnt have time to train them so he just raised them, he recieved them all as a gift so yea, there is already a guy thats buying the huge cage he has them in for 100$ and the 3 of the tiels aswell, i told him to keep the white tiel for me and not give it to the guy that buys it tommorow, here is a picture of the tiel im gonna buy btw:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5567/img0229tl1.jpg

i took it today with my iphone, i have a question to u guys, when i whistled the tiels like shaked their heads, what does that mean? they did it almost every time i whistled, they are very cute, like i said NONE of the 4 bite me, and i tried to perch them a few times, but they try to move away from the hand, if i just leave the hand there they dont do anything but if i try to move the hand to make them like step up they move to the side.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
That is a cute pied male. It's older than 6 months for sure. Word of advice-and I am sorry if you think I am being a bit rude but: The vet apparently doesn't keep budgies or tiels herself according to her housing and cage requirements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
she might not but the sweetie tiel will be happy in it. besides ill let it out everyday ;) guys can u tell me what the head shaking is when i whistle? i mean all of them shaked their head really quickly everytime i whistled.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
oh i forgot to tell u guys, the tiels eat pellets! they are converted to pellet diet already , right now in the store he gives them seeds because he doesnt have pellets, i plan on buying the vita vittles tiel food btw, he said he would give me the tiel for 70 and a bag of food for free but i said ill buy the food myself and just get the tiel for 60! im getting a great deal, like i said a guy is buying 3 of the tiels tommorow aswell as the huge cage he has them in and who knows which 3 he will get, most likely **** get the pied one because he is so preety, the other 3 are females and like all grey bodys, this pied one is soo cute, thats why i told him to keep it for me and not give it to the guy tommorowo because i said i will go tommorow at 6pm and buy the tiel, guys ill buy him , i love birds , i have 3 parakeets, i think i will have a great time with this tiel, like i said i can not go out now and look for breeders and what not, every tiel is special in it's own way and as long as its not a vicious biter i belive it will go fine, he even showed me, the tiels of the STORE, that they sell for 130$, they have 3 of them , 2 females and 1 male, once u put ur finger in their cage they start to open their mouth getting read to attack! the pied one im getting is not like that AT ALL, he is a sweetie, i was actually able to get him on my finger really quickly but he jumped down hehe, its like my parakeets man, thats how i trained them, i let them get used to my hand first and then step them up, guys i have a question ,wat should be the first thing i do once i bring the tiel home in it's cage? i mean ill put him food and water of course and a toy. should i start puting my hand in the cage to let him get used to it? or where should i place the hand exactly?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Well congrats- I'm sure you'll enjoy your tiel. I don't normally use the slow approach when I first bring a new bird home. (I have two tiels and eight budgies). I handle them right away out of the cage and then put them in leaving the door open so they can look around and rest. All 10 are VERY tame-esspecially the tiels. It's good that they're on pellets already- they should get seed, pellets and veggies so also get a good seed mix for them. Veggies and fresh foods are also a must. As far as why the others looked like they wanted to bite- well, females do that but it's just to scare you off. It's quite normal. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
i see, ur method sounds good, but 1 thing, when i bring him home he will already be in the cage that i will buy for him , u say i should take him out once i bring him in? he isnt used to hands much like u read from my post above so what should be my approache? ur being a great help mate, thanks.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Well, I would take him out as soon as you get home. Give him a few minutes and then take him out and just talk to him , have him perch on you...etc. Just so he gets use to you. The reason I believe handling right away is a better method is because they get use to you before they get use to their new home (even if it's the same cage, it's a new place). That way they bond with you faster..just my thoughts.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I hope it all works out good to hear he is a sweetie and not a biter, my only thoughts are about the cage, the cage size your stating just seems to small for a cockatiel to be comfortable in the cage your describing is not much bigger then a budgie cage and that is just not good enough for a cockatiel they need alot more space then a budgie does you should really think about getting him a bigger cage he would be so much happier no matter how long you have him out of the cage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
i see, but once i take him out what if he is flying all around? i belive he might, how would i let him perch on me if he is scared of my hands? ur idea sounds great but im just wondering the following, i mean he is probably scared of my hands, how am i supposed to take him out of the cage, i do not want to grabe him of course, i could leave the cage door open, btw, he will try to communicate with my keets right? is it dangerous to let the tiel and the keets out at the same time? is tehre a chance he will attack them? and would the tiel care if his cage is close to the keet's cage or not?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
so u say i should get the HIGHER version of the cleanlife cage? this is the cage im talking about that costs 70$:

http://familyofpets.petrg.com/cgi-bin/fop/PCP00852.html

i dont know why it costs 40 in the website but i cant buy stuff online cuz i dont have a credit card so i have to buy it in the store, it looks too high tho i mean, ill have the cage in my living room, this is the cage that i have for my budgies:

http://www.petblvd.com/cgi-bin/pb/PCP00850.html?mv_tmp_session=1&mv_session_id=nsession

and also the one i was planning to buy for the tiel, it costs 60$, its really big and looks like the tiel will feel great in there, guys i have a question , that cleanlife cage comes with 2 plastic perches, i have a rope perch for tiels but its not long enough to reach from 1 side of the cage to the other, should i just make a bend that fits from 1 corner to the other corner so atleast there will be a rope perch in the cage? i mean like i said the rope perch isnt long enough to reach from 1 side of the cage to the other so what i can do is i can bend it and put it in the corner, i will of course get him a swing aswell.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts

This cage is too small. It's not wide enough and it's not much different then the budgie's cage you have, except the height. Tiels are long- they have long tails that and a large wingspan so they should have a large amount of space. I know you're excited and have alot of questions-that's not a problem but take time to go over this thread that shows examples of cages. I have three of the same kind and they are huge- less than $100 each. Here is the link: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php/post-photos-you-cage-32.html?&highlight=cages

As far as the inside- take a look at this thread and it'll give you some examples of what they should have inside their cage. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php/whats-your-cage-667.html

The budgies cage and the tiels can be put side by side- mine do have SUPERVISED playtime together too- the tiel will probably have no intrest in the budgies and if it's anyone bossing anyone around it'll be the budgies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
2 good threads , but i can not spend 100 on a cage nor buy online, i mean why is the tall cleanlife cage small? it says specificlly its for cockatiels, i know they might need more wideness but thats all i can afford and i think its not too bad considering others buying much smaller cages than i am so i am proud, ur cage is awesome btw babyluv , if i could get one like that for 70 i would have gotten it but i cant. oh and they do have another large cage both widely and with hight , its house shaped and costs 80 but thats tad too much for my budget, i could buy this cleanlife cage right now and when i get a credit card i might buy another bigger cage from ebay ;) please dont pressure on me i just cant get any bigger cage at this moment, what i plan to buy for the start is a cuttlebone, a swing, i already have a big toy for big birds like tiels, 2 cups come with the cage, 1 for water and 1 for the seeds/pellets. they are in the bottom of the cage btw, thats fine yea?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.