Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I joined after losing my crabby sweetheart, Charlie. He was almost 22. I became paranoid after losing him.. It was so so sudden.

I adopted a new baby (3.5 months at the time).. because.. I never keep one tiel. it's always a pair. it was so empty without Charlie.. but I won't get into that here.

Anyway, I became paranoid that my new baby is underweight. all of my tiels, excluding one, have been on the beefier side. I read and read about feeling the keel bone, and felt like such a shitty owner.. for not being able to know if he was underweight or just slight framed. I've owned birds for 2/3 of my life about. I guess maybe because the majority of those were my beefy tiel and finches.. I never had to worry about my other tiel's weight. If anything they might have been a bit chunky.

I got my other current cockatiel, Chester.. from a local breeder. That breeder isn't here any longer. My go to local bird shop didn't have any young ones, but recommended another local shop that specialized in birds and fish and had good reviews. I never buy at big chain stores.. I prefer breeders. I was still grieving I guess. I'm glad I have Ellie though. I don't regret it. Ellie's bright and active and looks totally healthy. Just.. skinny.. I worry he's too skinny.

anyways..

Is there a good place I can post about what happened to Charlie? I don't feel right posting it in the Rainbow Bridge.. I don't want that to be his tribute.

I'm taking both Ellie and my older tiel Chester to my avian vet to get them checked out, so I'll know for sure if Ellie is underweight tomorrow.. but.. I guess I wanted to talk about it.. I lost Charlie on July 3. Ellie came into my life on the 5th.

Thank you for taking the time to read my long message. :pied:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
So sorry to hear of the loss of Charlie :( . If you want to talk about him, you could probably put it under cockatiel talk instead of rainbow bridge. **Hugs** And congrats on the adoption of Ellie!

·
Registered
786 Posts
By all means post it here...we understand completely. So sorry for your loss, it always hurts so much.

·
Registered
878 Posts
So sorry about your loss of Charlie, but welcome to you from Percy and me. Hope you will tell us more about him.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
So sorry for your loss :( and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
So sorry that you came to us under such sad circumstances. Do you weigh your tiels? That might help you feel better about their weight if you can see it on paper. It always made me feel better.

You can post here about Charlie or in cockatiel talk. Either one is just fine. Whenever you're ready, we'll be ready to read it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sorry for your loss :(

I recommend purchasing a gram scale, commonly sold in the kitchen department of most stores. That way you can weigh them at home and keep a log on their weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone

Hello everyone,

I wanted to give my heartfelt gratitude over the warm welcomes and condolences on my loss of Charlie, as well as my little Silver Lining, Ellie (Ellie's a white faced Pearl - it's kind of an inside joke, that Ellie is my silver lining over my loss of my Charlie, as Ellie is the first silver tiel I've owned)

For those recommending a gram scale, the first thing I did after getting Ellie was look into a good scale for smaller/mid range birds. I ended up getting this one: ZIEIS Digital Bird Scale | A42SS-NMTP | Wooden T Perch | Suction Cup | 1.0 Gram or 0.05 Ounce Accuracy | 2000 Gram or 70 Ounce Capacity | Stainless Steel Platform. I never had an issue with weight before.. my other tiels were always pretty beefy.

It had great amazon reviews and was a bit pricy (~$50), so I felt the accuracy would be good. I got it off Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040HQ5EO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks like I bought one of the few remaining in stock... it's out of stock now.. lol.

I've been keeping track of their weights as soon as the scale arrived (on the 9th, Ellie came home with me on the 5th).
In a nutshell, Ellie fluctuates ~1 gram above or below 85.~, while Chester fluctuates ~1 gram above or below ~95.~.

I took Ellie and Chester to an avian vet last saturday. I had avoided it in the past because Chester became extremely stressed the last time I tried and I worried about how he'd handle it. It went.. okay-ish. He wasn't very happy and he did have a small tantrum.. but he's good.

I was worried Ellie was underweight, and while the vet didn't really imply that Ellie was, the vet did mention that as Ellie is a youngster (4 months) and was in a large cage with clipped wings, they should build up the wing muscles around their keel bone and chest.

My takeaway was that this was why Ellie's keel bone felt so much more sharp than Chester's, not that ellie was necessarily underweight. Chester also apparently has a different shaped keel bone than Ellie does. Ellie's junts out more while Chester's is more flat. Chester also as a TON of feather down and fluff, so it's hard to see his keel bone through all that.

Apparently, Chester might also be a girl. His tail feathers indicated that, but I'm not sure.. his pearl pattern is more mottled.. and his behavior leans towards male (territorial, much more vocal.. but who knows).

Thank you again for the warm welcome. I'll write about Charlie in the general talk section.

Charlie :yellow pied: Chester: :cinnamon pearl: Ellie: :wf pied:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Clipped birds are prone to obesity, especially if they're on an all seed diet. Flighted/active birds will not have a "pointy" keel bone, but it'll still have some definition. There are lots of diagrams out there that visualize it better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clipped birds are prone to obesity, especially if they're on an all seed diet. Flighted/active birds will not have a "pointy" keel bone, but it'll still have some definition. There are lots of diagrams out there that visualize it better.
My older guy (Chester) was flighted his entire adult life and on zupreme pellets, veggies and now and then some cooked quiona, millet spray or egg yolk. The avian vet checked him out and said he was in fine condition. He's only had his wings trimmed now do to Ellie being new. Otherwise he had free flight supervised in my den for the second half of the day, for many years. Same with Charlie.

Charlie ate the same diet and had the same lifestyle. He is the one that passed at 20.7 years.

I've seen the diagrams and neither Chester or Charlie had the flesh on either side of their breast bones going past the bone itself, so they weren't overweight.

The avian vet I took Ellie and Chester to said Ellie felt fine, but could do with some muscle development in their wing and chest muscles. So, I might just be paranoid. I'm doing flight exercises 30 sec - 1 min a day.

Hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Huge hugs for the loss of Charlie.

I've worried off and on about Joey being underweight, but I think he's just a smaller guy than others I have been around. Mom's Moe, and her previous tiels have all bee bigger. Hubby's former pal Eric was an absolute chunk compared to Joey. Joey is healthy and slightly plump, so I know he isn't underweight, but I worried for a while.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not 100% true. Remember, they have to work harder to get to a distance.
We might consider "clipping" taking the outer few flights off to limit speed and lift, but to the average owner, clipping means completely stopping flight. You might see people getting on forums and communities and trying to educate each other on the harms of this, but the reality is most people are blissfully unaware, or simply don't care. There are veterinarians that still recommend heavy clipping - 20+ years ago, it was just something you did and didn't question. We're a verrrry small fraction of global parrot owners. There are still millions out there being clipped excessively, fed all seed diets, kept in tiny round cages, etc. it's very sad. Keep fighting the good fight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts