Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a cuttlebone in my Nibbles' cage, but I've never seen him touch it. To be honest, he really doesn't touch much of anything I put in his cage to play with, or his play gym. So, I think I need to start supplementing with a powdered supplement, most likely in his water. My question is, do I have to buy a supplement made specifically for birds, or might the calcium and D3 supplement I have for my lizards be acceptable? I'm not exactly an expert on bird nutrition or the differences in processing and manufacturing these powders, so I thought I'd bring my concerns to the TC.

The product is Fluker's calcium with vitamin d3, phosphorus free. The ingredients are calcium carbonate and vitamin d3 supplement, and it says calcium not less than 36%, and vitamin d3 minimum 100,000 IU/pound.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
i'm not an expert on the topic but...
if your bird eats a healthy diet of mainly seeds, with veggies, and some pellets, then it shouldn't need supplements unless recommended by a vet.
people used to believe that cuttlebones and grit were essential for their birds, though vets recognise now that grit is unnecessary, and cuttlebones are a personal-choice thing.

if i were you, i'd definitely talk to an avian vet about supplements and concerns you have about your bird's diet. too many vitamins is not a good thing. so run it past a professional i'd say.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Don’t give your Cockatiel the supplement that you give your lizard, I am pretty sure they would be different to bird supplements. Here is a thread you can read through: http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27549&highlight=vitamin+supplements

If your Cockatiel eats soft foods (veggies, sprouts, etc), you can sprinkle some of the cuttle bone onto the soft foods, otherwise, Nutri-Berries or Pellets are another option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thank you guys. I was unsure but I thought I'd ask just in case. I haven't started converting to pellets yet, as I'm waiting for the local shop where I work to get in a new order of them. I'm also having a hard time getting him to eat anything other than seed, so right now I'm pretty worried about his diet. . . Hopefully the pellets will be available soon.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If its Vit D you're worried about, take him outside in his cage for some sunlight. That will help him to create it on his own. Or a full spectrum light in his room. I would not supplement at all, some supplements can be overdosed on and its just not worth the risk. Keep trying to tempt him to eat different things, see if he will eat it if he sees you eating it (tiels are flock animals and mine LOVE my food). Try hanging big leafy veggies in his cage, this worked on mine after a while. If you want him to eat something, put that in his cage first thing in the morning without any seed for the first hour. After the first hour, put the seed back. You can do this at night too, an hour before you put him to bed, take the seed out and put the other food in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I need to try that! I've got some really lovely mature collard green plants in our garden right now for my lizards, I think I'll snip off a leaf and try hanging that and maybe something else from the garden or fridge in his cage tonight. I hadn't realized that supplementation was so. . . Optional, I suppose? With birds. His cage is too big to be taken outside, but I think I can probably find something else that will work. I haven't found a travel cage for him yet, not to mention that it gets over 100 degrees frequently during the summer where I live. . . I was mostly concerned about calcium. I guess I'm just used to having to carefully supplement for my lizards, because they're both species that are very prone to calcium deficiency and metabolic bone disease, which can easily be fatal, and often causes permanent deformities.

DEFINITELY wouldn't want that to happen. o_o

I do have some full spectrum lighting for the reptiles, however, and she frequently sits on top of my beardie's tank as it's right next to my desk. Hopefully, this will help! ^ 3^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts