Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! :D

I have a cockatiel named Pipa, a very sweet young girl. I also have a pigeon, and even though they are interested in each other, they don't interact too much. Over the X-mas holiday Pipa broke her wing and went to care ~ she won't be back home until her wing is all healed up (=a few more weeks).

We decided to get a friend for her for when she gets back. I remembered one 'bird expert' telling me Barred Parakeets make great friends with cockatiels. I had seen a cute bird in one pet shop, which they told me is a Barred Parakeet ~ so, I ended up buying him today! (I also wanted to get the bird out of that shop, as it had been there already for two months)

Ok, so here comes the twist;

As I Googled around, I realized the new bird isn't a Barred Parakeet, but a Red-rumped Parrot! I also read that Red-rumped Parrots can be aggressive towards other birds! :eek:

So, do any of you out there know about these birds? I wanted a friend for my cockatiel, but now I'm uncertain if they can even be kept free in the same room everyday! I got a bit nervous, and even though I'm 'mad' at the pet shop, I wouldn't wish to take the bird back, and especially as I don't know if there's a possibility to keep these two birds together. They both would ofcourse have their own cage, but what about the flying free part?? My cockatiel is normally out the whole day, for as long as there's someone in the house to keep an eye on her.

Any advice is more than appreciated! And if you can recommend another forum (etc) for me, please feel free!

Thank you!

Kind chirps,
Jo :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I usually would recommend same specie birds if you're wanting a friend for your current Cockatiel. I don't know anything about them birds, but if they're aggressive towards other birds, then definitely not a bird to have as a friend for your Cockatiel, nor be caged together. You could have supervised out times, but you'd have to be very careful because you don't want your Cockatiel being hurt. A few out times together to see how it goes and if by some chance, they get along, then you could continue to have out times, but again, supervised just to be safe. If they don't get along, then you'll have to have separate out times for each birds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts