Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here. I miss you guys a lot.

Since you guys were so supportive when I lost my dog Shelby over the summer (if you missed it, here is the thread), I figured I would let you guys know about a similar development in my life. This may get a little long, so you'd better fasten your seatbelts :p

After we first lost Shelby, things were alright for me for a little while, but unfortunately that didn't last long. It didn't take me very long to realize that Shelby was pretty much the only support I had in my life - I have no friends (literally. Nobody. I have a few close online friends, but pecking on a screen and reading what pops up after you do is a very different thing from actual human interaction). I don't have a boyfriend. My only sibling lives three hours away. I'm lucky to hear two sentences from my dad in a day. My mom is gone from 7 AM to 8:30 PM or later every single night. And where Rocko went to a new home, now I don't have him, either. Maybe losing Shelby wouldn't have been so bad if I still had him. But I'm sure that he's happier in his new flock than he ever would've been with me, so that's okay.

My depression symptoms slowly started creeping back. I dropped hints to my parents, who both insisted we were NOT getting any more pets, especially not a dog. Their cited reasons included a desire to travel (yeah, right. Like we have the money for that, and like my dad ever leaves the house for any reason), the lack of dog hair from shedding (I'll admit that's nice, but it's not worth being completely lonely), and our fence, which has several compromised areas that a smaller dog could escape through. I started to get frustrated because they wouldn't budge. Any time I so much as breathed the word "dog", my mom would interrupt quickly and shut me down. I didn't feel they were being fair, especially when I offered to cover every expense of this new dog and take care of all the related chores, so they didn't have to lift a finger.

Well, to summarize quickly, I eventually got my mom to budge (she was the main dissenter anyway), but then my dad suddenly had a hissy fit about how he was never asked how he felt about getting another dog (he totally was. I don't know why he threw the tantrum he did, other than he's severely Aspergers so I never know what's going on in his head and he can be unpredictable). He asked me why I needed a dog RIGHT NOW, when my sister is doing fine without a dog and has since she left for college three and a half years ago. I more or less said "well, let's compare for a moment. She got to go live in a big city for college. She has a boyfriend of 6 and a half years to support her. She has friends in general. She has her hermit crabs. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in this dreadful, boring, soul-crushing wasteland of a hick town because I'm more responsible about student loans, with no boyfriend, no friends, and no pets. I see mom for about a half hour every day and I speak about two words to you on a daily basis. Can you see where maybe, just maybe, she doesn't need a dog because she doesn't need support like I do?"

All said with me on the verge of tears. This was pretty much my breaking point, and the moment that I really got through to my parents. They've decided to let me get another dog. The dog will be my responsibility completely, including financially, and I've already bought some new chain link to replace the worn-out hunk of junk fence we have right now (goodbye, $319.96...) I visited the shelter I plan to adopt from last Saturday and saw so many fantastic dogs. As soon as we get the fence put up, I'm going to go supply shopping and then finally get the dog!

I'll keep you guys updated. But in the meantime, here are some of the dogs at the shelter...

This is Riff Raff! She was very calm and submissive, and I didn't hear a single sound from her the entire time I was with her.

This is Elvis! He was penned up with another dog that climbed all over him trying to get to me. He didn't try to resist at all, just rested his sweet little face in my hands.

This is Violet! She tried to kill me... By licking me to death, of course.

This is Patches! She leaned up against the fence as hard as she could trying to lean on me.

And finally, this is Popeye. He was a very calm little boy for being only 10 weeks old!

There are a few more that I'm considering that I forgot to take pictures of. I can't wait to go back to the shelter to see them again, but I'm trying not to get my heart set on any one of them, because who knows which among them will be adopted by the time I come back...

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Ya, I'm sorry Lex. Losing a pet is horrible and I can imagine being depressed doesn't help. You know, I'm in the same boat as you. No friends, boyfriend, yada yada yada, but I think I do make up for it with 2 cats, a fish, 4 birds and a snake. :p And my weekly riding with the horses of course.

Either way, congratulations on the new dog! I do have to tell you, Patches jumped out at me, but this is your decision. I'm sure whichever you pick, you'll be happy with them! :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That was how I felt after Cinnamon passed, except I had a husband. Begged him for a dog, which he finally relented to. Good luck picking the new pup!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Whooohooo @ a new doggy! It's amazing how much support our feathered and furred friends give us.

Must show more pix when you get the chance :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I can relate to how you feel. I hope you find a lovely new companion. If it were me choosing out of all those gorgeous doggies, I'd pick Violet. :love:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. <3 I can't wait until I can give you guys some pics of the one I choose!

And there are SO MANY to choose from. I'm considering 13 different dogs, and I didn't even get a chance to look at the ones that are housed outside because it was raining! I don't know how I'm going to make such a tough decision.

I hope everyone's fids are doing well, by the way! I lurk around and read the threads sometimes, but it's not the same as chatting on the boards. I try to add in something when I can, but obviously without a bird, I don't have much to contribute that would be on-topic.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Congrats on the go ahead for a new pup! I will say Violet struck me too. Love that sweet face. Any one you choose though will be a good one. I am sorry about the depression, and I understand you completely. Hope life gets better soon. I am sorry for your loss of Shelby too....its never easy.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Whichever dog you choose you are doing something wonderful for that dog, well done!
I agree! If I won the lottery, I'd adopt all the dogs and cats and birds and match them to happy homes.

I'm so glad they relented and understood your need for a furry friend. Everyone needs a best bud, whether with two legs or four, skin, fur or feathers.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We got a lot done on the fence yesterday! We're hoping to finish the job today. I'll be sure to post pictures later today!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hang tight for an update, you guys... It looks like we're getting a dog on Saturday! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts