Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Lately for the past 1-2 weeks Earl has been in a mood.

Let me explain...
He will be fine with me - whistling, chattering in and out of the cage, coming up to me when he is in the cage.
But when I put my finger out sometimes he will attack it, and then I will have to put my finger closer to his body and then he will step-up. Also when I put my hand in the cage, Earl will sometimes attack my arm but not bite he sort of fake bites he will just look like he is going to bite but when his beak touches my skin his beak is only open a little, and you can sometimes hear a little hiss noise! :wacko: He has never been like this before, and he usually does it when he isn't getting the attention when my hand is in the cage, for example if I am tickling Little Bill instead of him, even though I have already given him his fair share of scritches. I know he is bonded with me very well and loves the scritches but I don't know if he is protective over me when I am with Little Bill. :)

Do you think it is just a time he is going through, and has it got anything to do with how old he is, a year since we brought him home/his birthday on the 17th of August, in 8 days.
Like I have said this is sometimes but it is increasing, he is still the loving and cheeky bird he has always been it is just these little changes in his behaviour that are happening, and I don't know what is going wrong...??
Thanks for any help on this, I just have no idea what it could be. :D

P.s and he just tried to attack my face outside the cage, as I lifted him up to put him on his cage(the cage is above my head), but this is a bluff bite behaviour he touched my skin but only the lightest tap was felt, he still comes to me with no problem but this behaviour happens on some occasions, also he has never bit anyone.:) And I just tried to make him step-up again and he is fine, wanting to nibble my top etc. It's like his personality just flips! :p

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It sounds to me like he is exerting his dominance, just like I went through with Dooby. The way I dealt with it was to show that I wasn't afraid and to just keep making him do what I wanted him to do. It could all be down to hormones, I really don't know, I think it's just a case of sticking, gritting your teeth and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Plukie, I never pull away because that isn't a good thing to do also he isn't biting he just fake bites like he doesn't want to hurt me but he wants me to know he isn't happy. He steps-up after his little attack which is only about 5 seconds, but he has never done this before so I have no idea what it could be...?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Have you tried changing his cage around? Maybe he's just decided to get a little territorial over his cage. I don't really have any idea, but sometimes it's the simple things that make the most difference to our little bird brained friends. lol

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Sounds like he is getting hormonal Ollie is going through something similar ever since he hit one and thinks he is a man now :p Plukies idea of changing the cage around might be a good idea.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Ahhh, the terrible teens. :p Definitely sounds like his mood comes down to hormones. It sounds like you're doing the right things by ignoring the bites and persisting with him. He should get over it pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the swapping around cage thing, we have already done that, put other toys in, changed it around, got a new swing etc. But it hasn't made the smallest difference to how he is.
And also...
I put my hand in the cage this morning to give him a tickle, and he was fine, chattering in my hand but he has pin feathers and you hit one and he once again does this fake biting, which is more like tapping, but I just keep my hand there and after he is done with this fake biting, which isn't long - he wants more scritches. You can never guess when this is going to happen, he just changes in a second. After I gave Earl a tickle and he was happy I went to Little Bill, but Earl made his way over and did this fake bite on my arm-again no pain.

So I am thinking has it got something to with me not giving him the attention because he does get jealous outside the cage aswell of Little Bill. Or...it is because I am near Little Bill! :confused:
Thankyou! :D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will, I just hope he goes back to his old self. How long could he be like this for ? :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts