Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, some of you may remember the tiel I brought home about five months ago, Autumn (aka "Nibbles," the name she came with). She was a parent-fed, semi-socialized baby who (although spunky and charming) wasn't particularly friendly. Well, fast-forward to now and she has made a lot of progress! She loves to be around her humans, and although she is still not the biggest fan of hands, we recently had a breakthrough and she is starting to let me give her scritches. She has also started growing her beautiful feathers in, and looks totally different from the little duck-butt pipsqueak with the hack job wing clip that I adopted. I simply adore this little punk. :love:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Omg! I am so happy for you! There's nothing quite like when your bird finally lets you give scritches.

She is really stunning. Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
She's such a sweetheart, I'm so glad you are making progress with her! :thumbu:

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's so sweet :)
All the patience it's rewarded

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys! I wasn't sure if it would ever happen. The only downside is that, since she has become sweet and affectionate with me, she now seems not to like my boyfriend anymore. I guess I'm the chosen one. She used to press her head against both of our necks like she wanted scritches, but would freak out if we tried to touch her. Now she allows me to preen her but wants less and less to do with him. Oh, well. At least she's happy.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
She is gorgeous! Joey took a bit to warm up to scritches. He still won't step up, but we are working with that. :D He was the same, showing affection to us equally, until he started allowing me to give him scritches. Now, his dad can hand feed him, and he will allow him to adjust toys and things, but no scritches allowed. He is definitely a mama's boy. It is interesting how they bond to one person.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Autumn is so beautiful!! Thanks for the update and sharing the pics with us :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Autumn

What a lovely little girl you have! She really is beautiful. It just shows what a little love, patience and gentleness. It makes me sad to think of so many people who have purchased a cockatiel, stick it in a cage and spend very little time with it, then say it's a "boring" pet. They don't realize what they're missing!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It makes me sad to think of so many people who have purchased a cockatiel, stick it in a cage and spend very little time with it, then say it's a "boring" pet. They don't realize what they're missing!
You said it! It makes me wonder what happened to Autumn's siblings that were also for sale/adoption. :( I got her from a home with less than ideal conditions. From day one, she wanted to be out exploring, even though she didn't become affectionate for a few months. I don't want to imagine how unhappy she'd be just shut in a cage and ignored.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Awesome job on bonding! I hear you on the semi socialized.. Mine was left alone in a cage for 2plus years before I got her and she is fully anti social to be honest not even semi, she's got cage bound issues and loads of other fears and stuff but day by day she gets calmer and chirps here and there. loooong way to go still but it totally pays off when you manage to enter the room and hear a hello chirp!

As far as the bf goes he'll have his time again she probably bonded more with you so wants more time with her fav human. I'm saying that as I see my tiels interaction with us. She goes mental when my wife gets into the room and she looks so happy playing with her with some straws but still I'm the only one that she shares a shoulder perch with heheh.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome job on bonding! I hear you on the semi socialized.. Mine was left alone in a cage for 2plus years before I got her and she is fully anti social to be honest not even semi, she's got cage bound issues and loads of other fears and stuff but day by day she gets calmer and chirps here and there. loooong way to go still but it totally pays off when you manage to enter the room and hear a hello chirp!
Gah, it makes me so mad when people neglect birds that way. :censor:
I don't think it's ever too late to undo the damage, though it takes longer with an adult bird. The main thing is that you have her now and she's happy!

As far as the bf goes he'll have his time again she probably bonded more with you so wants more time with her fav human. I'm saying that as I see my tiels interaction with us. She goes mental when my wife gets into the room and she looks so happy playing with her with some straws but still I'm the only one that she shares a shoulder perch with heheh.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!
Actually, she is letting him pet her a bit now! She still seems to prefer me, and is more comfortable with my hands than his, but she's coming around for him. We have both spent about the same amount of time around her. Maybe I just give better scritches. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts