Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'm hoping you've had a little more experience with cockatiel breeding than I have. Yes, We've had three successful clutches from the same dad but two different hens. The first died during the feeding process of the chicks due to asparrating some food and it went to her lungs. My issue now is I have a male whiteface and a cinnamon pearl whiteface female that I've been waiting on to breed for almost two years!!! They are cagemates and have always seem to have been bonded but here's the problem. I've caught them mating ( or at least attempting too ) 3 times now! To be honest, I'm NOT sure they ( mostly the male ) know what there doing! They seem to be going thru the motions as he mounts her back and she makes the sounds like all hens do but I don't see any actual contact! Neither seem all that interested in the nestbox we've placed in there cage either. The other male we have that's had three clutches worked on his night and day until the hen started laying! I've only been into tiels now for around 5 years and I'm STILL learning things. As to the mating process itself, I've NEVER understood just HOW a male can impregnate a female by standing on her BACK! Are the sexual parts of a bird on there undersides close to the vent? What's your take on this pair I'm dealing with now? Just keep the fingers crossed I guess that they figure it out. They would make some AWSOME babies!

Robert Seale

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Some males never do figure it out. Hens will usually do the breeding cry when a male is on their back whether they're making proper contact or not. If you've only seen them trying to mate three times, it's still early and he might figure it out eventually.

As for how they do it: unlike mammals, most male birds don't have any external sex organs. We call them cocks and then use that word for a body part that the birds don't actually possess. Ducks are an exception, and their penis is downright scary-looking - you can google for pictures. The Vasa parrot has an appendage called a hemi-penis that is scary-looking in a different way.

But male cockatiels have nothing! Ditto for most other birds. The male and female put their vents together, and the sperm flows from the male's cloaca into the female's. Sort of like pouring liquid from one test tube into another. This doesn't seem like it ought to be very effective, but the large number of birds flying around in the world proves that it works.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS tielfan. I had a feeling I could at least count on you for a reply! I guess nobody else on this board has ever bread cockatiels! That, or too lazy to answer!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts