Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am glad to be here to learn from all of you knowledgeable fid lovers! I have a few questions for you all. I have worked in the pet industry for about 10 years now, the past 5 working for a local pet store. A few weeks ago we had a customer drop off this adorable little 5 months old tiel begging us to find he or she a good home because her dog was trying to kill him/her. So we set them up with a cage in our bird room to hold until we were sure they were ready to go to a new home. Long story short, I spent a month talking myself out of bringing this bird home, all the while falling more and more in love. So I just ordered the cage and when it comes and I am ready he/she will be coming home with me. I have a fair amount of knowledge regarding birds, but since my store never sold cockatiels, they are not my strong area, I would like to change that. My store often pet sits them, but the owners are asked to leave detailed care instructions and they are always different. My first questions for you are about the tiel's (I still haven't settled on "the" name) minor issues (see pics). The first issue is the toes. A few of then look as if the parents nibbled the tips off, which I read happens sometimes, so he/she has a hard time hanging onto my finger or perching. Does anyone else have a bird with this issue, and do you do anything special for them such as perches or play stands? The 2nd being the tail and wings. I know the feathers will grow back, infact one tail feather has started, but as of now he is very clumsy and plummets to the ground onto his bottom when he falls. How long do the feathers typically take to grow back? I know keets take a month or so, but we have had him longer then that and he is still like a rock with wings. I also do not know how to tell the gender because he is all white (does anyone know what this color is called? he isn't albino because his eyes are a blueish grey color) but he sings alot and already copies some whistles, so I am leaning towards male. Also, though he is in his own cage, he has other birds in the room to keep him company, would he get lonely being the only bird here? I have 2 old dogs and 2 lazy cats (which I am worried about but figure I can keep them in their room, yes my cats have a room lol, while I have him out and I got a very sturdy cage). I am not opposed to getting another tiel if he needs a friend, but I would prefer to bond with one the way I did with him, so there is no knowing how long that would be. Would playing music while away help? He also will come into work with me on days I don't have much to do. I am sorry this is so long, and I know I am forgetting some questions. I just want to make him as happy as I can, I am seriously in love with him lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Congratulations and welcome!

Your bird sounds like a cock since he's beginning to whistle. His mutation is a whiteface lutino. It does sound like he had his feet bitten, but they look like they healed correctly, so it doesn't look like a big problem to me. It does happen. I had a lovebird in the past who actually lost a toe to himself. This was in the past before he was with me, but it doesn't generally give birds too much trouble. And, your bird is young, so the lack of balance at that age doesn't help his grip. It will get better.

The feathers will grow back during his molts. Molting depends on each bird, but it will come back.

I have a single cockatiel at the moment. He's not lonely. It does depend on the bird again, so it's up in the air. For now, I'm sure he'll be fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply:) I know of whiteface and Lutino, but I didn't know the combination resulted in an entirely white bird. I think he is gorgeous no matter what though;) I am glad to hear he has healed well and it shouldn't impact him long term. He was seen at a vet recently also. I cannot wait until his wings grow back in, they were clipped horribly and I would prefer him to be flighted so I can do recall training incase he ever gets out, plus he will have a way to escape the cats if they ever try any funny buisiness lol. I am not worried about my Persian, he is slow and has no face lol. But my other chubby cat likes to "hunt" the fish in my reef tank through the glass, so if he posses any problems he will just have to be locked away in his room while the birdy boy is out. I am also glad to hear you only have the one. I wouldn't mind another since they are so pleasant, and much quieter then the conures we have at work (although they are cute too lol), but I would prefer to spoil just him instead of dividing my attention between 2...at least for now hahaha.

·
Registered
246 Posts
He will be fine as an only bird and may even learn to talk more. My cat wanders about while the birds are out and doesn't bother them. They even sit on my knee together competing for scritches/scratches. (I always put her out of the room if I am not there). It depends on the cat though. I had one once who rescued an escaped baby hamster and took it to bed with her until I discovered it the following morning all snug in the catbed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts