Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a story about why I love birds. They use trial and error, unlike a lot of other pet animals (some do, I haven't seen it much. Maybe hamsters, the escape artists? haha)

So, Indie's jungle gym is on a table adjacent to my bookcase. Yesterday, he really wanted to climb onto one of the shelves from his perch, but it was juuuust out of reach. First, he tried extending his little leg from the perch to the shelf in an attempt to step onto it. But he failed, because it was too far away, so he just kind of looked at me, legs spread to their capacity, completely stuck and not knowing how to get out of the situation. Next, he tried using his beak and his leg to hoist himself onto the shelf. However, this did not work either. The third attempt was apparently to ran full force at the bookcase stopping only to lick it and then run back. The fourth attempt was to ditch the leg idea completely, place his head sideways on the shelf and just stay there, bent in that position, moving only to lick the bookcase and ran back to his perch. For his final attempt, he realized he could fly. Success
Oh my gosh. Was I laughing.

Do you folks have any funnu stories you'd like to share?

·
Registered
786 Posts
That's really funny :D
My little Milo is just 9 weeks old, and he is still very clumsy learning his way around his cage. He goes through quite the antics trying to reach another perch or get to a certain toy. You have to be there to see it, but it can be really cute sometimes:)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Lol that sounds so cute! Too bad you didn't get it on video!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Haha cute!
My lot always forget they can fly, Sam falls off the cage a lot when she bat birds and it's not until about 2ft off the ground before she has that "oh yeah" moment.

And Flynn makes me laugh because he sees the rabbits everyday and everyday he forgets that if he's on the floor and walks towards the black and white fluffballs... They move... It's hilarious and the rabbits only sniff em but it makes him jump every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
My girl Roo is the sweetest bird ever, but probably developmentally stunted. She's just not ever going to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Back when I first gave my girls their swing, she would get on it and then cry at me to get her off because she refused to jump off while it was moving even though there was a perch easily within reach.

To this day, she also grabs her cagemate's tail like she thinks it's a toy and then gets SO SURPRISED when there turns out to be a grumpy bird attached to it. Every time. They've lived together for 2 years.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's not funny really but very cute. Whenever I tell Sammy he's a pretty bird he takes a deep bow and turns to the left. He also liked You Tube clips of tiels singing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts