Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just gotten our first cockatiel, its a wild ride of learning many new facts and information about them. As we've been looking at her standing on her perches, we've noticed aspects of her feathers that seem a little strange, so I wanted to see if you guys could help. I'll attach an image of the feathers in question. In the image, there seems to be long feathers on her left wing, but a lack of them on her right. We haven't gotten a chance to see her wings as shes spread them, so I'm not sure if that's due to her getting clipped or what.

Also, when buying her, we were told that she is most likely a girl. But as I've been reading about the distinguishing features and behavior of the different genders, I'm sort of skeptical. Maybe some expert eyes could help figure it out or clarify it.

Finally, one of the pictures shows a yellowish green color due to her droppings. I would assume its not the best thing to have there, but I'm not sure how soon I could give her a bath, seeing as the building of trust is taking some time (which I'll probably make another thread on soon).

Attachments

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Your bird has some broken tail feathers. This is common, especially in a young bird with clipped wings. She'll get nice long feathers when the old ones are molted.

Your bird has the pied mutation, which doesn't follow the normal color rules. Either sex can have a dark face or a bright face. The face color of males usually doesn't change at maturity, although there are exceptions.

Pied males can keep their baby markings for years, instead of losing them at maturity like normal males. Your bird currently has some baby markings on her tail. If these markings are replaced by a solid grey color after a molt, it means that "she" is really a boy. But if the markings don't disappear, it doesn't prove that she's a girl. Behavior or a DNA test will be a better guide to gender than the feather color.

Your bird's vent feathers look fine. It's normal to have a slight greenish color on the feathers around the vent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts