Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I took in my little buddy George a few months ago and he is making a considerable amount of progress in this short period of time. A little back story on George, he was surrendered to a small pet store by a family who left him alone in his cage. We were told he had a few cage mates that kind of came and went. He had, and still slightly has, a fear of hands and some people. The store clerk told us we shouldn’t get him due to his behavior and was even afraid of getting him out of the enclosure he was in. Well, obviously that didn’t stop me and my family from taking him home. At first he wanted to stay in the cage, which we let him, so further stress wouldn’t be caused. We started opening the cage to let him know he was more than welcome to come out and explore. He began to jump onto our shoulders, still scared of hands, but didn’t mind shoulders or faces. He opened up a lot quicker than I expected, we were told he most likely would never even come near us. Goes to say you can’t listen to everything you’re told. Anyway, from then on he prefers to stay on our shoulders, cuddle our faces, and play with hair. I would’ve never guessed George to have such an amazing personality. Oh, I did leave out that he loves to whistle, a lot. And I mean a lot. I guess I should get to the point of my post now. Over the past couple of days, he has started to get a little more grumpy like he was when we first got him. I’m speculating that it’s because we tried a new bathing method. He absolutely despises baths due to never getting them from before. I really don’t want to stress him out, but his feathers are in a dire need of moisture. I tried the pan in the bottom of the cage and on the table he enjoys hanging out on. He will dip his toes in, take a drink, and then get out. If I even so try to splash some water onto him, he freaks out. Of course, my bird momma heart hurts really bad so I just leave him be and console him. That’s when I tried to do the misting method. Misting is something I discovered he is majorly afraid of. Since, I tried this method, he has been staying in his cage more. I’m worried I did something wrong by trying this method, but I know he needs it. Does anyone have any tips on getting a bird to become interested in the slightest bit to taking a bath? I’m really worried he might become sick or something will happen to him if he doesn’t get a proper bath. Sorry, if I went off topic or made this post too long. Also, apologies for any errors made or weird wording. Thank you for reading and I appreciate all of the tips and advice you all can give!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi. How's he doing now?

Some birds like to bath more frequently than others. I definitely wouldn't splash him. There are two things I would try. One is leaving a large shallow bowl either in his cage or somewhere else that is accessible to him. Experiment with putting romaine lettuce leaves in it. He might gradually come around to bathing in it. The other thing to try is to gradually get him comfortable with the misting. You should spray it up in the air and let it settle on him. First just let him get used to any sound it makes--don't do it over him. When he's not alarmed by it any more, see if he likes it. I try a couple of times and then quit and try again some other time.

Some birds only want to bath twice a year, others love it and will bath every day if it's available.

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts