Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background before I tell about the actual problem....

I got a 6 week old cockatiel last week. It(I still don't know the gender) was healthy and active. But on the 2nd day, it was sleepy for the whole day. So, I took it to the vet, who prescribed an antibiotic for 5 days. My little bird had a respiratory problem. The heart rate was too slow.
At the end of the 5th day, everything was okay. At the time of purchase, the breeder had asked me to replace one feeding with seeds/pellets after 1 week. So, exactly after finishing the 5 days antibiotic dose, I tried replacing one time feeding with seeds and pellets (I mixed them both). None of them are coloured...
But I found red coloured droppings twice. I was really worried. Therefore, once again I took it to the vet, who was terrified by the weight loss. Earlier its weight was 70 grams but this time it was 55 grams. So, he gave an antibiotic injection to my bird and asked me to visit him for 2 more days for completing the 3 days injection dose.
Today was the 2nd day. We saw a weight gain of 9 grams. It's a good sign. It was 64 grams today. Also the vet asked me not to change its diet in anyway until it's absolutely healthy again.

Now, coming to the problem...
Out of 4 feedings, the 3rd feeding was done just before 2 hours. Surprisingly, it at 12 ML completely (usually it eats 9-10 ML).
Still, my bird is extremely hungry. It's begging for food. I was not sure if I should give the baby formula one extra time. So, I gave cooked carrot and sweet corn. It's eating the sweet corn as if it didn't eat anything at all.
I never saw it so hungry. I am worried and not able reach the vet's number.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have no doubts your already attached to this little bird ( I would be too ) but......it sounds to me like the breeder or who ever it was that sold you this bird didn't do you any favors. I'm thinking this bird may of had issues before you even got him. Pet stores are REALLY bad about this. However, it sounds like your doing the right ( and responsible ) thing by taking him to the vet. By all means go ahead and feed him if he's hungry. Is he not eating what your vet recommended? if so, KEEP trying until you get that vet (or consult another) and tell them of your situation. I think if it were my call, I'd try something he would eat.....at least the poor thing wouldn't starve! I'm sorry to hear your stuck in such a situation! I can only imagine what your going thru. Please keep us (me) updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet had the exact same thing to say, that it might be sick before I got it.
But anyway, it's mine now...
Yesterday I fed the formula and my bird slept.
Today morning, I just don't understand why but my bird seems to be extremely angry and disturbed.
It's trying to bite me and hissing at me (this happened when I tried waking it up for food, which I always do).
I have taken an appointment with the vet for today and will keep you updated.
Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for your response. I should have asked.....just how long have you had this bird? A number of things may be making him angry and upset. Chances are he doesn't feel that well on top of probably getting use to his new home. Just be patient and understanding with him. Hopefully he will come around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts