Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got leo at 25 days old and i feed him formula until days 50.. and then i start to decrease formula and offer boiled egg mix with little water he eat good 3 time a day and i get him pellet and seed mix with fruit and he eat these in cage but still want the egg he go crazy for it everytime he sees me start crying and begging for egg and i try offer another food he try but then shake his head and wont eat it... just the egg.. i don't know what to do the egg is not good for him this much.. please help me.. he is 88G in weight.. i replace water everyday but except 3.4 time about 20days ago.. i never see he drink again.. thank you so much.. sorry for my bad english..

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Have you tried scattering the seeds and pellets on a flat surface or on the bottom of his cage so he can engage in foraging behaviour? This is the easiest way to get babies interested in new foods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he eats seeds and pellets in the cage.. and learned how to eat seeds but he still begging for egg... he won't eat enough tho and the second i make a noise he start begging for food.. i try keep him hungry maybe he eat more of the seeds but no luck... i'm so worried maybe i start formula again because the amount of eggs he eat is not good for his health... i don't know what to do... he eat seed and pellet and still want the egg and nothing else .. i tried mashed potato,rise, banana, veggies and he try and act like he does not like it... please help me.. i really love him.. after my family he is the most important... i think hes weight is low at this age right ? hes 87g... i do anything until he get through.. the vet said keep him hungry until he eat the food in cage and don't lesson to him.. but i really feel that he not eat enough seed... he eat the seeds all the time every 15,30 min.. but still wan't the egg... thank you so much for the help.. :(

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Leo is only 9 and a half weeks old so don't force him to wean. He may take longer to wean and that's okay, sometimes babies don't wean properly until they are 10 - 11 weeks old.

Please ignore the vet's wrong advice to starve him in the hope that he eats something else, because it usually doesn't work and only results in weight loss. At 87g his weight sounds normal, but feel his keel bone to be sure - you should be able to feel the keel in between the breast muscles but if it's sharp and protruding then he is underweight.

You will have to decrease the amount of egg you are feeding him (as you said, egg in excess is bad for them) and give him formula instead when he begs. It's great that he is eating solid food regularly on his own. Please don't worry too much, you are doing a great job in raising your baby! :) Be sure to keep us updated on how little Leo is doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
your help means the world to me i mean it.. i'm 25 years old and at this age.. i never thought someday i would love a bird that even think of he is in pain make me cry.. i see things that no one believe he sense my feeling even without any change in my behavior he try everything to make me feel good he kisses me make sounds that he not making normally and sit on my chest and keep hes head and beak close to me and bite softly my fingers to pet him.. and all of this at this age.. i going through a breakup after 4 years and a really bad one... and he is the only thing i care about.. but something worries me sometimes when hes on my shoulder or close to me go back and forth couple of times and then he open hes wings fully and make little noises and at that moment hes look like somehow lost balance a little when someone get in my room he do it more but also when we alone.. at first i thought its hes mating dance but i search for clips and never see any tiel do that.. sometimes when hes at that behavior he start flip wings and make that little sound and then he calms down.. its more like seizure but also maybe hes try to defending me.. that little lost balancing worries me please tell me what is this behavior :(.. i'm so sorry for talking and asking so much question.. the vets don't even bother explaining Everytime they say its nothing don't worry.. but the part that tiels can hide their sickness and pain so much made me try 3 different vet to just check him up.. thank you so much.. i start formula yesterday and the begging part got reduced and now he eat even more seed and pellet in cage i let this goes for couple of days i think hes a little underweight.. after the weight gain i try again.. thank you for your time you are a good heart and caring person..

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You are making great progress with him! He sounds like such a sweet little 'tiel.

Are you able to take a video or some photos of his behaviour you are worried about and post them here?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you so much.. i try my best to get it on video.. it is exactly like this but more movement and he sudden head movement my him lost balance a little.. like when tiels try to clean nasal with legs and sometimes sitting on your leg at a bad position and loose balance and try to not fall with little wing clap.. i think maybe he try to show himself to me and at the same time he do territorial behavior when someone get close to me or see anyone except me when he is with me and making sound when doing it like chirping but a lot lower.. the behavior last 3second and maybe he move position and do it again.. exactly like the video except the balancing part.. maybe he is still little and must do practice... about the formula i feed him last night and turn off the light except the little light for him to see everything and i was watching him about 2 or 3 hours he eat the seed and pellet and drink water but not that much to half full his crop.. when he thinks I'm sleeping he don't need anything untill he see me moving or making sound.. at that time he start chirping from a 1sound every 5second to begging and scream and make his way to me.. the moment he get outside to me stop making begging and do the happy sound.. and he knows how communicate to get what he wants he is not able to make the sound that adult tiel makes.. but the tune of his voice change with every mood.. i think at the 8 month of age he could repeat and learn.. i really feel good when talk about it..for drinking problem i try every method to learn him where the water is almost like 6 different ways.. but none of them work for him till i got something in my mind.. i got his favorite rope and locked it someway that one side of it go into the water bowls and in that exact moment he got close to get the rope and tip of his beak got in water and he let go the rope and start drinking and playing with the water fot about 30second and after that he never got drinking problem 2days gone.. i told this maybe someday someone get similar problem to mine and solve it...
The Video link that i found and explain : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXt05yhsTkg

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You may not need to worry about Leo not drinking enough on his own yet because being handfed he will be getting a lot of water from the formula. How many times a day are you feeding him formula? That is awesome that you figured out how to get him to discover the water! Great idea, I'm glad that it worked.

Babies can be extremely clumsy so his odd behaviour sounds normal to me. He could've been doing "bat-bird" which is a declaration that they own something (since he was doing it while perching on your shoulder, take it as a compliment, he was claiming you as his own! :D) but it is also what the parents do when they're defending their nest, just like the male 'tiel in the video. Or Leo could've just been acting playful, spreading his wings for a stretch.

As I said in my previous post, you've made excellent progress with him!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts