Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 5 week old tiel that was kicked out of the nest. he came from a family of breeders that hand fed him before sale. he will eat seed mix, corn berries and scrambled egg. will this be enough for him? i read a post talking about formula. I was not sure what kind of formula was being mentioned so i figured id ask.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

If he is eating on his own there is no need for formula. Will he eat vegetables? You may want to get him on to some pellets too. The younger they are the easier it is to get them used to new foods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
he will eat but he prefers that we give it to him. either by hand or on a plate in front of us. we're going to try veggies tomorrow from our garden. cucumber squash and zucchini. we dont use seven dust on our garden either so no worries on poison. i just worry because hes very under weight and only eats a little at a time. his crop hasnt filled noticeably since weve had him. also there are not much feces in his droppings. and if there are its whole seeds

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
At five weeks old he is MUCH too young to have been weaned off of formula. He's much too young to have been sold. I would contact the breeder and ask them to take him back for another three weeks to finish formula feeding him.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That's not good. OK, you'll need to go get formula and a gram scale. He will need three feedings a day of 10% of his body weight. The issue is that at this age, he may not take to eating formula. You can try feeding it to him from a spoon and see if he will take it that way.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Bird formula, not formula for humans. They sell it at pet stores, kaytee has a brand of it.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Be careful how much egg you give him. They aren't supposed to get it every day, just a couple times a week.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
My apologies; I misread your post as 15 week old and not 5 week old. It's essential that you get him some formula ASAP.. it's an emergency situation. He won't put on the weight needed for vital growth and development eating only a little bit of whole foods. If you are unsure about how to do it there are plenty of tutorial videos on YouTube on how to hand feed.

Please keep us updated and let us know how your baby is doing.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
In addition to this, a DECENT breeder should have known better than to sell a bird that young let alone feeding the it what they were. It's going to be more work on your part but I hope all works out for you and the new baby.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
No baby food cereal is too high in iron to give a cockatiel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.