Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, but I've been reading a lot of the threads here. My cockatiels are Fred and Iris and they just had their first clutch hatch! I really did not expect any babies to hatch, so to see 5 hatch is amazing. And another surprise, apparently Fred is split whiteface!
All 5 little babies are currently residing in a box in Fred and Iris's cage, happily eating and sleeping away.
The oldest are 4 days old, then 3 days, then 2 days, and finally one last one hatched today.
I'm hoping for the best for these little guys, because they are just so cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I'm not sure how to post pictures from my phone. I also need to clarify, Fred is a normal grey and Iris is a whiteface lutino. They are both 2 years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's the youngest! It looks like it'll be a whiteface lutino like mom but I could be wrong. He is 2 days old today. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that he is a he. What do you guys think the gender is?

I'll post pictures of the rest of the babies later, when I get to a computer. My phone's not allowing me post more than one at a time :/

Attachments

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Ya, that little ones got red eyes so you've got a whiteface lutino there:) Based on genetics he could be either sex, its too early to tell. This also means dad is split to lutino.

....the picture is gone :confused:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah sorry! I was testing out the edit function. I just put it back so it's like nothing's changed :D

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Dad must be split to both whiteface and lutino! All your babies are whiteface - that's the only mutation that hatches out with white fuzz, all other colors have yellow fuzz.

Statistically you'd expect only half the babies to be whiteface, but it's possible to get a long run of just one color. Shodu is whiteface and her mate Buster is split, so half their babies are expected to be whiteface too. But their first 8 chicks were all non-whiteface.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry for the late update! I've been really busy lately and completely forgot to post the pictures up. I checked up on the babies and I took new pictures. They have grown so much since yesterday, and some of their crops are HUGE.

I'm not sure if it's a huge deal, but the 2nd youngest baby has an air bubble in it's crop. It's the one I posted two pictures of. Is the air bubble a big problem? I read that I could "burp" the baby, but I'm worried that I'll end up aspirating it instead. Advice?

Also, the parents seem to be coming out more and staying out for longer. That's the only reason I've been able to check on the babies more, which I'm completely fine with :D But are the babies at the right age for that? They're currently 6, 6, 5, 4, and 3 days old. I'm actually not sure when the first two hatched. I came home from a vacation and I was pleasantly surprised to hear little chirps coming from the box :)

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the rest of the pics. I forgot to mention this, but they're in order from oldest to youngest with the second youngest getting two pics.
And the last pic is mommy foraging some food on the coffee table

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The parents start coming out of the box when the oldest are about a week old so that's completely normal.

As to burping the one, the air really wont hurt it so if you aren't confident enough I wouldn't worry about it. It just means the baby gulped up some air while eating.

Very cute babies btw!:love:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! In my eyes they're just so ugly they're cute.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here's a pic I took today of the oldest (7 days) and youngest (4 days) babies. The oldest is just starting to grow some feathers on his wings. He's also started to hiss at me when I look inside the box. It's so adorable!

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi everyone! I am so late with the update but I've been incredibly busy these past weeks.

So I have a question regarding socializing these babies. I've been taking the babes out 2 times a day and holding them for 5-10 minutes (I have cold hands so I feel really bad when I take them out to hold them :( ) The oldest baby is very sweet and is even getting used to the dogs walking around it. The other 2 grey babes however, are very hissy. Should I be doing more socialization with them now, or should I wait until they're a bit older? (they're 18 and 17 days now)
They're not going to be handfed so the handling is really all the socialization they're getting as of now. But of course, I can do more. Luckily mom and dad don't mind when I grab the babies out of the box, although dad can get a little panicky :p

Anyway, the all important pictures are right here in order from oldest to youngest. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it just me or do the grey babies look like CINNAMONS? If they are cinnamons...then WOW I hit the genetic jackpot with Fred. What do you guys think? Are they cinnamons? I'm pretty excited ! :D

I'll attach some pics of the oldest baby. I accidentally flashed him when I was taking a picture but I guess it was for the good :p

Please don't tell it's just my inexperienced eyes or a trick of the lighting. I really really really want them to be whiteface cinnamons. Maybe I can will them to be that color :blush:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
They are so so gorgeous!!! Love the whiteface lutinos, so cute:love:

Actually they do look like whiteface cinnamons to me, their flight feathers look more brown than dark grey. :)

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
They might be cinnamons. I don't have the world's greatest eye for color, and with my own babies I find that they can be deceptive at the pinfeather stage. Some babies that I think are probable cinnamons actually turn out to be grey. You'll know for sure when they feather out more.

Keep on working with the hissy babies - not handling them isn't going to make them accept humans better. Some babies have more high-strung personalities than others and take longer to get friendly.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts