Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all, I am planning on getting a cockatiel on Thursday. The parrot store owner I am getting the tiel from REALLY knows what he is talking about when it comes to birds and is very honest about the condition of the birds. He is going to have two 7 month old cockatiels and a few 4-5 week old cockatiels for sale. I would really like to get a 4-5 week old cockatiel because it would be very special to have one that young and create a bond with him but I’m scared that the tiel would be very fragile and die easily. He doesn’t offer a warranty on the birds. I’m wondering if anyone has ever had a 4-5 week old tiel and is willing to tell me how fragile their health is? Would it be better to get a 7 month old?

Thanks so much!!
-kaylor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kaylor, It does sound a little young to be weaned. I would make sure to ask him if it is eating on it's own or is it still wanting to be fed. You may have to hand feed it if it isn't weaned.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1st cockatiel was 6 weeks old when he came home and had been hand fed. That was 25 years ago. Now I'm in the process of getting a new baby. He is just 2 months old and still on formula for at least 2 meals per day. It seems a bit young for a hand fed baby to be eating seed well enough to go home. That is just my thought. I would never tell you what to do. Note that I go and visit my baby and am thus bonding with him very nicely while he is still being taken care of by a breeder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Although a touch awkward and needy- having a 4 week old was the best decision I ever made! My Li’l Alfie is so personable- and tame. Loves people- interaction re: singing and mimicking etc.- So I thought!

I did return him to the breeder to wean- as he was becoming extremely needy.

I had a 12 week old- and traded her in for a younger bird. The older bird never ate Vegetables- beautiful female- zero interaction. I hand raised my bird. No regrets- great male- talker.
A lot of effort- but well worth it! Kaytee brand formula- lots of love and an intro to veggies-

good luck : )

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kudos to you and don't mean that in bad way at all. I could not hand feed for the life of me. For me though I feel blessed that my baby is being hand fed until he's ready to be done with formula and socialized and then he's with me every other day minus the holidays in there. Beautiful photos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi y’all, I am planning on getting a cockatiel on Thursday. The parrot store owner I am getting the tiel from REALLY knows what he is talking about when it comes to birds and is very honest about the condition of the birds. He is going to have two 7 month old cockatiels and a few 4-5 week old cockatiels for sale. I would really like to get a 4-5 week old cockatiel because it would be very special to have one that young and create a bond with him but I’m scared that the tiel would be very fragile and die easily. He doesn’t offer a warranty on the birds. I’m wondering if anyone has ever had a 4-5 week old tiel and is willing to tell me how fragile their health is? Would it be better to get a 7 month old?

Thanks so much!!
-kaylor
Kaylor,.... no I would not chance it. been a bereeder a long time!. Do you know someone that can teach you to hand feed?..... MANY THINGS can be wrong, and the untrained eye will think it is their fault....PLUS NO guarantee..... I say NO. thats to young!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks so much!!
-kaylor
I bought a 4 week old tiel, NoKey. He is now 16 weeks. I hand fed him Exact 3 times a day then cut back to 2 times at about 7 weeks. Having such a young bird and with my lack of experience with raising little fellas...well it has been challenging. He kinda of self weaned, showing little interest in his "formula" and more interest in seed. I stopped the Exact at about 12 weeks. The only seed he would eat was millet. He dropped weight dramatically, his poop was CLEAR water colored. I took him to the vet twice, round of antibiotics and probotic the first trip, B12 shot the second trip.. I started him back on Exact mixed with hard boiled eggs...sounds weird but he LOVED it. The weight is back on, poop still a little more watery than I would like but he a is happy, GREAT loveable fun bird. Oh and he thinks I'm his mother❣

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all SOOO much for your help!! This is (still deciding but I think) Harrison! He (or she) is 4 1/2 weeks old. He is very healthy and active! I am being EXTREMELY careful with him & his diet. :) not sure if I should name him Teddy or Harrison. Can y’all think of any other names?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you all SOOO much for your help!! This is (still deciding but I think) Harrison! He (or she) is 4 1/2 weeks old. He is very healthy and active! I am being EXTREMELY careful with him & his diet. :) not sure if I should name him Teddy or Harrison. Can y’all think of any other names? View attachment 92881
aww what a cutie pie! I think I would go with Teddy just because you going to be talking to him a lot and Harrison is a mouthful unless you shorten it is Harry. :) Is he a whiteface? Oh, he's going to be a beauty! Congratulations!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aww what a cutie pie! I think I would go with Teddy just because you going to be talking to him a lot and Harrison is a mouthful unless you shorten it is Harry. :) Is he a whiteface? Oh, he's going to be a beauty! Congratulations!
Thank you so much! He is a whiteface! <3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts