Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel is 49 days old. Been flying for a week. But, he went from 86.50 g to 83. He used to beg for his formula 4 times a day ending at 11:00 pm. and was taking in anywhere from 12-14 g a feeding. Now begs for food in morning but only wants 5g then refuses. Then I try to feed again at 11:00 am and 5:00 pm then around 10-11:00 last feeding. But may refuse anything more than 4-5 g. I still keep at around 106*. Feeding Kaytee Exact.I do keep a good mix in his cage along with scrambled eggs in AM and chopped apple or other mix Fruit. is this normal? How many feedings should I give him at 49 days?
Bird Vertebrate Beak Feather Tableware

·
Registered
206 Posts
At 49 days, he should be getting fed only one feed in the evening. He's probably refusing the food because he's starting to wean. I wouldn't be surprised if he even weaned before eight weeks because I had one chick that stopped eating formula at seven weeks.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
My cockatiel is 49 days old. Been flying for a week. But, he went from 86.50 g to 83. He used to beg for his formula 4 times a day ending at 11:00 pm. and was taking in anywhere from 12-14 g a feeding. Now begs for food in morning but only wants 5g then refuses. Then I try to feed again at 11:00 am and 5:00 pm then around 10-11:00 last feeding. But may refuse anything more than 4-5 g. I still keep at around 106*. Feeding Kaytee Exact.I do keep a good mix in his cage along with scrambled eggs in AM and chopped apple or other mix Fruit. is this normal? How many feedings should I give him at 49 days? View attachment 94275
My cockatiel is 49 days old. Been flying for a week. But, he went from 86.50 g to 83. He used to beg for his formula 4 times a day ending at 11:00 pm. and was taking in anywhere from 12-14 g a feeding. Now begs for food in morning but only wants 5g then refuses. Then I try to feed again at 11:00 am and 5:00 pm then around 10-11:00 last feeding. But may refuse anything more than 4-5 g. I still keep at around 106*. Feeding Kaytee Exact.I do keep a good mix in his cage along with scrambled eggs in AM and chopped apple or other mix Fruit. is this normal? How many feedings should I give him at 49 days? View attachment 94275
I wean /have weaned tons of birds. They all do it at their own time . I feed till you will see them nbacking off. at that age they are fledging.... they always get light during this time. (most). at 7 weeks I still have some may want twice a day and need it, some will be ready to go down to one feeding, some wean at 8- 11 weeks. when he quits wolfing down the syringe and EATING/ cracking seeds,... You reduce feeding Out of a clutch of five, I just had one that took a little longer .... just quit one feeding a day on him and he is 8 weeks..... Some do it (beg) to see you and get attention..... but will back off the syringe.....you can tell.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts