Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel is 49 days old. Been flying for a week. But, he went from 86.50 g to 83. He used to beg for his formula 4 times a day ending at 11:00 pm. and was taking in anywhere from 12-14 g a feeding. Now begs for food in morning but only wants 5g then refuses. Then I try to feed again at 11:00 am and 5:00 pm then around 10-11:00 last feeding. But may refuse anything more than 4-5 g. I still keep at around 106*. Feeding Kaytee Exact.I do keep a good mix in his cage along with scrambled eggs in AM and chopped apple or other mix Fruit. is this normal? How many feedings should I give him at 49 days?
Bird Vertebrate Beak Feather Tableware

Registered
At 49 days, he should be getting fed only one feed in the evening. He's probably refusing the food because he's starting to wean. I wouldn't be surprised if he even weaned before eight weeks because I had one chick that stopped eating formula at seven weeks.

Premium Member
My cockatiel is 49 days old. Been flying for a week. But, he went from 86.50 g to 83. He used to beg for his formula 4 times a day ending at 11:00 pm. and was taking in anywhere from 12-14 g a feeding. Now begs for food in morning but only wants 5g then refuses. Then I try to feed again at 11:00 am and 5:00 pm then around 10-11:00 last feeding. But may refuse anything more than 4-5 g. I still keep at around 106*. Feeding Kaytee Exact.I do keep a good mix in his cage along with scrambled eggs in AM and chopped apple or other mix Fruit. is this normal? How many feedings should I give him at 49 days? View attachment 94275
My cockatiel is 49 days old. Been flying for a week. But, he went from 86.50 g to 83. He used to beg for his formula 4 times a day ending at 11:00 pm. and was taking in anywhere from 12-14 g a feeding. Now begs for food in morning but only wants 5g then refuses. Then I try to feed again at 11:00 am and 5:00 pm then around 10-11:00 last feeding. But may refuse anything more than 4-5 g. I still keep at around 106*. Feeding Kaytee Exact.I do keep a good mix in his cage along with scrambled eggs in AM and chopped apple or other mix Fruit. is this normal? How many feedings should I give him at 49 days? View attachment 94275
I wean /have weaned tons of birds. They all do it at their own time . I feed till you will see them nbacking off. at that age they are fledging.... they always get light during this time. (most). at 7 weeks I still have some may want twice a day and need it, some will be ready to go down to one feeding, some wean at 8- 11 weeks. when he quits wolfing down the syringe and EATING/ cracking seeds,... You reduce feeding Out of a clutch of five, I just had one that took a little longer .... just quit one feeding a day on him and he is 8 weeks..... Some do it (beg) to see you and get attention..... but will back off the syringe.....you can tell.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.