Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 10 cockatiels since 1986 and most have lived long lives (some in late twenties), but little Opus, who was born in my apartment in 1988 and lived alone for four years being my last tiel, died yesterday. He was never affectionate with me but past couple of months he made me pet him, kiss him, and love him. He was blind in one eye and hobbled around and could not use a grill so I would change the paper multiple times a day. He was fine yesterday morning and suddenly he just would not eat his favorite pasta and just was kinda frozen staring upwards (which he did most times anyway). When I picked him up I could tell he was dying and just held him and he died fast - when he could not stand fell to his side, I knew it from past experience this was it. So I am very sad (and I'm a 74 year old senior) and since all my other cockateils have been buried in my parent's or brother's yards, I have to freeze him until I can use my brother's yard. I have frozen my other birds too. Just shocked he lived a full 31 years after losing nine friends over the years and living alone for four. Thank you all for listening. MaryAnn

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm so sorry about your loss of your precious sweetheart Opus.
I'm glad he shared such affection with you over the last several months - seems it was his special way of thanking you for the wonderful life you shared - with him and all your birds.

So sorry - the loss is really heartbreaking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you miss him tremendously, but sounds like he gave you lots of great memories. So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your posts. I am still having a tough time every day and just bawl in the morning when now I am not feeding him. My defenses have caused me to get sick - I do have a parakeet who is only 1 so I am trying to be closer to her. My husband understands but no one really cares as it's "only a bird." 31 years is a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MaryAnn, we all share your pain at losing little Opus. Knowing how precious the way our little birds share so much pleasure and joy, we understand. I am thinking of how much joy you gave to Opus. He was a lucky little guy. My two little cockatiels (Turtle and Snow) send their condolences and comfort, too.
Beverly Gaye Scofield

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.