Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 day old baby crop appears to still have food on the crops my suggestions? He's eating every 2 hours and was 2.7 grams when born and only 6 grams today I'll try to get a picture later

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sounds like he's gaining weight....what makes you think its not emptying? I never catch my parent fed babies with empty crops but if you think its an issue you could try the alkaseltzer method (feeding him like two/10th of a CC, I think, but only letting him digest a little of it, then pushing out the rest.)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I've got him in a brooder since my female wasn't feeding him his crop was empty everytime I checked him I had to pull her last clutch and the reason why I think is because my husband was going to feed him and told me when his hand hit his crop formula came up (2 hours after being feed?) he didn't hurt the baby but then I started to look at his crop (he eats just at 1/2 ml a feeding every 2 hours

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crop Pictures

Ok first 2 pictures are of baby Before feeding (2 hours) last shot is baby after feeding he had 5ML and I stopped him at that because he probably would've had more any ideas or am I just being paraniod?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you I'm feeding him every 2 hours right now Ill start adding garlic and yogurt how much yogurt (I had my husband pick up a container of plain today just Incase) thanks susanne

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
When you mix up your formula have the yogurt at approx just a little under 1/4 of the mix. And a quick dash of garlic powder.

When handfeeding just a single baby, with little waste of formula, you can do this (click for a large view)

another thought, the brooder should have allot of humidity in it when they are that young. It is important for good hydration. If humidity is low use coconut water as the fluid to mix the formula. It is better than electrolytes for hydration.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Humidity is running at average 49-52 i keep a bowl with a sponge in it the temperture of the brooder is maintaining at about 91 in an aquarium tank with a heat pad and a reptile pad to keep it at that any suggestions? I have a heatlamp but I don't want to have the wrong size wattage for him and overheat him any suggestions or is the temperature ok?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
It sound like your setup is good. You just might want to increase the temps to 95-98 degrees since the baby is so little. This way the baby does not have to use it's body reserves to stay warm rather than growth. The warmth is especially important after you feed because the crop can chill down quickly if there is not enough heat. Chilling of the crop can also slow down digestion.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Susanne do you know what the correct wattage is for heat lamps I don't want to get one that is to hot I have a 60watt and with the reptile heating pad, my heating pad and the heatlamP on it actually brings it up 4-5 degrees but if that's to hot I don't want to hurt him. I also keep the tank covered with a blanket nice and dark

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My husband said we had a 50w infrared heat lamp red bulb if this is safe I'll try that.. I can keep it on and feel safe that it won't hurt him of course it's not going to be directly on him

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
If you use it have a thermometer inside the brooder to keep track of the temps. The MAX temp would be 104 without problems because the parents body temps are 104, thus a baby would acclimate to that. If this little one has not been under a parent after hatch then the MAX temp should be around 100.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a stand up temp/humidity I keep right next to him thank you o much you are a life saver how long should I continue the yogurt and garlic powder and instead of every 2 hours is 1 1/2 good or 1 every hour?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I believe you can feed it to him the whole time you feed him (I know with the garlic you can do this) and the yogurt I think the timeframe is a week, but srtiels will confirm that.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts