Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75% sure I'll be getting a 2nd cockatiel later this year so I'm currently considering whether I should get another female or a male.

The only thing that would sway my decision is that getting a female means no birdy babies, is there any way to have a male and female cockatiel together (possibly in the same cage if they got on) without the possibility of them having babies together? Or would they need to be in separate cages? (Also possible as I do have the space and will be getting a 2nd cage anyhow for quarantine).

Any help would be lovely :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think it really just depends on your birds. Some males and females don't click and end up not liking each other. It's possible that they could mate and become bonded or that they could mate just to relieve "stress" because it does happen. Even if they do end up going into nesting mode you could always boil the eggs if you don't want babies.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It may be better to get another female, just so you don't have to worry about breeding issues. :) This is just from my experience, but whatever you want to do is fine. :D

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I don't know why, but something in my gut tells me another hen would be suitable for you and Luma. Don't know why, just a feeling

·
Registered
544 Posts
The no babies thing was the biggest reason I got another female. I was afraid they would not parent the babies for some reason and then it would be up to me. Scary.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies :)

Before I got Luma she was a breeder's bird but wasn't interested in any of the males they had so they sold her to the local pet shop where I got her from. So I think it would be best to stick with looking for a female cockatiel :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I just take the eggs away and that's how I get no more babies from my pair :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recommend a female

I had a male and I wanted him to be less lonely when I was away.
I got a female. He didn't like her at all.
I got another male. Better, since this male was very tame.
But they still had to have cages side by side.
So my point is, the birds will do what they do. They are less likely to get moody
If there is a same-sex pair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts