Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

My name is Robin and I have a 2 year old male cockatiel named Quinn. He is amazing in so many ways! He talks and is very entertaining. He is my second cockatiel. I had a female for 22 years and let me say, they are as different as night and day. My female died over 2 years ago.
I decided I wanted another one. And as I said very very different personalities. The problem I am having with him is that he will sit there and tweet, tweet, tweet non-stop and it drives me absolutely nuts. Then he will screech really loud!! Oh my! I have tried many things. Ignoring him, putting him in another room. Etc...
Right now he is at the breeders house where I originally got him because I needed a break from the constant noise.
I really want to keep him. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.
Any one else have this issue? How did you deal with it?

Thank you so much!

Robin (Quinn's mom)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
2 year old male

Hi and welcome! I am sorry your Quinn is driving you nuts with his chirping. Do you let him out of his cage or otherwise interact with him? Maybe he is looking for attention? I am just guessing; I am afraid I really don't know what advice to give you. Like you, my first cockatiel was a female. I had her for 13 years before I lost her to cancer. :( My "new" 'tiel, Bennie, is now 6 years old and is a wonderful little companion. As is yours, Bennie is very different from my first cockatiel. She was a precious little sweetheart and it was so hard to lose her. Bennie is talkative, but does not chirp as you describe. Bennie is out of his cage whenever I am home and has freedom to fly around my tiny one-room apartment. I am sorry I don't have any other advice to offer. I hope someone else will have some suggestions. Best wishes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Thank you for replying.

Yes, my Quinn is out of his cage pretty much all day (I work from home).
The only time he is in his cage is when I leave or go to bed.
He gets lots of attention.

Thank you though.

Your Bennie sounds sweet!

R:ylw lovie:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No more responses

I see lots of people read my thread but I only got one answer.

Does anyone have any advice here?

I really want to be able to keep him so I am willing to try whatever.

Thanks!

:ylw lovie:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it’s hard to answer your question, although my experience is very limited with cockatiels. I grew up with canaries, which, of course, are known for their song. Yet my daughter thought the canary song was very annoying and loud. So my next birds were singing finches, whose song is softer, but not as intricate. Then we got two love birds, whose owner said she couldn’t think with their loud chirping...I found it very pleasant, and then they picked up the singing finches song, so that was a bonus. Now we recently got a cockatiel (male, we think) who is quite vocal, and seems to be trying to mimic my grandson’s whistle. All this information is my attempt to say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You might try getting him to mimic a song that you would like to hear. Perhaps playing soft music you like. But I’m not sure silence is likely. Maybe noise silencing ear phones?

·
Registered
20 Posts
At first I thought Quinn just wanted your attention but you said he gets lots of attention as you're home all day. You might try playing some music for him - I do that for my guy when I'm here and can't give him attention and always when I go out. It seems to soothe him. As long as Quinn's out with you, does he have a play yard or toys around? Do you talk to him as he's tweeting? I find mine screeches at me when he wants to get a point across if I haven't listened! You might try hiding some treats around, too (you'd have to show him at first to look for them!). Hope any of this helps - sounds like your boy wants Something, and his mom needs to figure out what!!!!! Have fun and good luck! Keep us informed!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,
I had a similar problem with my cockatiel screeching a lot. I got some advice from a behavioral veternarian. She told me to make sure that he got a full, 12 hours sleep every night and its made a huge difference. You could give that a try. I now shut him in a room before dark and allow him to wake with the sun. His food was also irregular, I was just filling his seed bowl and guessing when it needed changing. She told me to just put enough seed to cover the bowl and not change it until it was compete dust. I'd he still seemed hungry, repeat until you work out how much he needs to eat in a day, then be consistent in how much, then you'll know if he's hungry or not eating. This also helped. Perhaps you can try these.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey,
My cockatiel Chipper is a male who is very spoiled. I am normally home half of the day and he out during that time. Even when he is out of his cage he still makes noises to try and get my attention. Recently his flight feathers have grown in so he can fly now. While I was talking on the phone the other day he started making noises and I ignored him. Since I ignored him he trying flying around my head 3 times to get my attention.

I have never had a female cockatiel but with my experience a male can never have enough attention :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts