Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Will male 'tiels hop on 'anything' to get their lets say.. mood away? 'cause Jasper tried to get onto Charlie, I seen it so of course I went over straight away got him and (he wasn't on top of her/him) away. The same happened with Twix, my mum seen Squeak trying to get on top of Twix but he never managed to hop on. Then straight after Jasper went over to Theo and he was whistling in her/his ear but never attempted to try anything more then that. Soo I'm a bit confused, but thinking perhaps the 2 normal greys are in fact female and Theo could be a male? :wacko: Not unless they were just so in the mood they don't care, but I have never heard of a male trying to jump on another male before this, or has it happened?

Nooow

2) Squeak has a habit of pulling out the other 'tiels crests and the others are starting to get shorter crests then him (if I see him do it, he goes straight into his cage) no one gets near him otherwise they'll be attacked! I noticed how short Jaspers crest is, and I don't like that Squeak's doing this to poor Jasper whom wouldn't do anything like Squeak does, he's pretty much a complete angel. :p I'm a bit worried Jasper will soon be crest-less, so should I separate them?!

Oops I should make sense, Jasper and Squeak are caged together.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Yes males will attempt to male males, Females will attempt to mate females they honestly don't care I think its who ever closest sort of thing ( i see it on a daily basis at least lol)

as for the crest pulling, I'd separate them and have the crest puller have his own out of cage time, before it gets worse. I'm not saying it will but there is a good chance it'll go from plucking crest feathers, to tail feathers to body feathers - and might as well nip the problem in the bud before it gets out of hand .

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
sounds like you have a plucker there fortunately with mine that i got from my uncle only does it to females and the female in there is being eyed bye 2 other males and they don,t let him near her

but i agree with atvchick95 males will atemp to mate with males and females with females

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've heard quite a few stories about male tiels mounting males. It's very common in a lot of different animals, especially in animals wanting to assert themselves (especially when they feel uncertain of their place or are trying to challenge a dominant male without conflict) or feeling the natural urge to pass on their genes.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Sounds like you have a hormonal overload going on. Male will mount a toy if nothing else is avalable...MEN! You might be able to slow this down by shortening thier days. I don't know if you use lights on them of if they are in a room that is very active 'till very late but they need dark and quiet for about 13 hours of the day to get them out of the mood. And Yes..separate your plucker. If you stop it now it may not become a habit with him. If it does become a habit it will be very difficult to stop.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh okay thank you for answering my questions.

I am in need of a cage so I'm gonna see if this lady that I know who breeds 'tiels has a spare one that I can use. As for the 2 boys and their moods, well that explains it all. :lol:

.. Grr I am still trying to get in contact with the breeder who sold me the 3 babies but whenever I ring I get an answering machine or it just rings out, I hope I got the right number, I can't even remember the guys name which makes it worse! :eek: Definitely can't do DNA too expensive.. and I can't seem to get hold of this breeder so looks like I'm not gonna know what these babies are until they're older. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.