Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2 month old cockatiel(likely male) and I'm a newbie, so i'm having some trouble knowing how to properly feed him. He was hand raised by me so he quickly started eating pellets, but seems seriously picky. I tried to make chop with grains, carrots, and green veggies with a small amount of pellets but seems to pick out only the pellets, and once he finishes them, begs for more despite having a plate full of other foods. It also seems that he prefers moistened pellets despite trying to accustom him to eat dry ones for weeks!

p.s. he eats fruit quite well, isn't too crazy about seeds, and I feed him Zupreem pellets(non-colored ones)

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
Well....you may have the makings of a picky tiel! Lord knows I have a few of those! I"d say your off to a very good start if he's already eating fruit! Tiels are most likely prone to veggies over fruit. Have you tried him on broccoli yet? At just two months old, I'd say you have a ways to go before he really develops a taste for what he likes and doesn't like. What KIND of pellets do you feed him? The Zupreem is a good choice but Rowdybush pellets are what we feed our flock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well....you may have the makings of a picky tiel! Lord knows I have a few of those! I"d say your off to a very good start if he's already eating fruit! Tiels are most likely prone to veggies over fruit. Have you tried him on broccoli yet? At just two months old, I'd say you have a ways to go before he really develops a taste for what he likes and doesn't like. What KIND of pellets do you feed him? The Zupreem is a good choice but Rowdybush pellets are what we feed our flock.
Thanks for replying! I feed Cuca Zupreem Natural Pellets and he is crazy about them! I also got some Top's pellets for him to try soon. I include cooked broccoli in his meals often, but he only pecks at it and quickly loses interest. I suppose i just need to be patient haha, I'm just eager to see him eat everything enthusiastically!

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
Ha! Good luck with that one! I don't think there is a tiel alive that will eat everything put before them! Remember, there like feathered kids! broccoli is an excellent choice.....IF you can get them to eat it! Half mine will, the other have just look at it! Now if you want to see them go bat sh%$# crazy, offer them spray millet! I've YET to see a tiel turn that down! That's like popcorn to us!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.