Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 males, will they be OK? Should I find female(s) for them?

I have 2 male cockatiels in the same cage. Both are hand fed and very bonded to me. They exist together in the same cage, they don't argue, neither are they friends. They both are about 6 months old.
The 1st I bought has a DNA test and I bought the 2nd hoping it will be a girl.

I want them to live as normal as possible. I don't intend to breed them Will they be happy 2 males? Will they be happier if I added 2 females in the cage?
Is there the possibility if I get 2 females that all 4 are bonded with me and simply co-exist in the cage like the 2 now?

Thank you!

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Two same-sex birds can get along as well (or as badly) as two opposite-sex birds. You don't need to get any females unless you want to have babies. Cockatiels are eager breeders, and there's always a risk of babies when you put boys and girls together.

Even if you do get females, there is no guarantee that they will like the males or that the males will like them. The more birds you have, the harder it is for new birds to form a bond with you - they will spend more time with your older birds than they do with you, and are likely to have a stronger bond with the birds than with humans. But there can be exceptions, and you won't really know what will happen until you actually do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts