Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have 2 male cockatiels 1 that is 2 yrs old and the second is a year old. My one year old is constantly biting my 2 year old when he gets mad when my 2 year old starts to sing.

He is now also starting to bite my husband also more. We give them both the same attention and most of the day they are not in their cage since we both work from home.

Any idea on why this could be happening?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think you have to separate them. But this is not an idea choice. Although they fight each other, when, separated, they will start missing each other and calling back and forth. And tuning down hormone level is key.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Percy is my oldest tiel (about 12) and is very dominant. I keep him in his own cage next to Popcorn and Snowflake (M/F) who are bonded, younger, and kept together in their own cage. Percy would like to fight Popcorn and could never share the same cage with the other two. I do let them all out of their cages to socialize under careful supervision but it is always clear Popcorn and Percy wouldn't get along living together. The birds all do fine with the current arrangement and seem happy to be able to see and hear each other even though separately caged - I don't mind maintaining separate living spaces. I've seen birds suffer bad injuries when housed together and not getting along (feet badly injured; eyes removed) so it's a serious matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2 males too about the same age. They fight often but don’t actually bite each other. They’re very much bonded with each other too. The one year old follows the two year old and when I’m home, I’m the leader of the flock. It’s definitely hormonal. My boys have lots of play areas and are out of their cages all day. They hang out in one cage during the day because it’s in front of the window and sleep in another always together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts