Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is quite a spew of information:

My cockatiel Buster has been laying infertile eggs for a little over a year. She has no mate. Recently within the past month she laid her first soft egg. I didn't notice that's what it was until she laid another soft egg this past Friday. I started researching causes, effects, and solutions.
On Thursday (7/19/12) she laid an egg large for her size with a thinner shell than usual but not soft.
Friday (7/20/12) her abdomen area by the vent was a little swollen and painful to the touch. I took her to an emergency avian vet that night for an exam. I didn't have enough money for an xray. I wish I did because the vet wasn't able to feel the very soft egg inside of her.
Saturday (7/21/12) She was in the bottom of her cage whining more than her usual egg laying noise and moving back and forth with her tail. She laid the soft egg.
Monday (7/23/12) She seemed to be acting different, but still active playing and roaming around my room. Her vent area was swollen again. All of the sudden she stopped and laid a soft egg on the floor that was partially broken. Some of the yolk was still inside of her. I called the vet back and took the actions advised: to run a gentle stream of lukewarm water over her vent to help the excess yolk to come out. The rest of the night there was some yolk in her droppings. Today her droppings are normal.

I feel like I've been rambling on, but I love her so much and am worried. Especially with what limited money I have now. I don't have enough money to take her back to her normal vet, but I'm working on it asap.
I've been trying to supplement her with extra calcium. I added a cuttlebone to her cage; I've been iffy on vitamin supplements. I've been trying to feed her organic egg whites & egg yolk (sparingly), organic cottage cheese, spinach, and raisins.
As far as dry food, I feed her roughly 80% ZuPreem fruit blend flavor pellets and 20% lafebers nutriberries.

I need advice and support because I love her so much :(

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Do you have any way to either get her natural sunlight (not through a window) or a full spectrum light? You can give her all the calcium you want but if she doesn't get Vit D she wont be able absorb and use it. Or you can try to get her Vit D supplements and put that in her water. That would be the best bet for now til you can pay for a regular vet.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
You can buy liquid calcium supplements for birds that include vitamin D and magnesium to help with calcium absorption. If you have several pet stores in the area it's likely that at least one of them will have it on the shelf - it pays to call before you go in. There are lots of different brands but it seems like they all have the same basic formula:

Liquid Calcium Borogluconate 33g/L
Vitamin D3 (2500 Lu/L)
Magnesium (MG ++7) 2g/L

The label will give information on dosage but if your vet will talk to you on the phone for free it would be good to ask him/her for recommendations. Your bird is in a situation where she needs these nutrients RIGHT NOW, but at the same time you don't want to overdose her because that would be bad too. Pellets and Nutriberries contain all these nutrients. Apparently she hasn't been eating enough of them to get the amount of calcium, D, and magnesium that she needs, but since she does eat some of it, you don't want to add an amount of liquid calcium that would push her to the overdose level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts