Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I need help, i will soon get a 12 week old cockatiel. She is hand tame and have very tame birds!
SO should i try to bond with her like other people say?(like leave it in the cage for 2 weeks)
I want to do like a person suggested to me. "dont even put it in the cage before it is bonded with me"
Should i do it like that?
pls help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
on the first few days I recommend letting her acclimate and have a cover on 3 sides of the cage (This takes 2-3 days) if you don’t she’ll get a cold, but just let her sit, eat, play, etc. And just sit in front of the cage and talk to her, watch something, read, idk. And then after 2 or 3 days just see if she wants to come onto your finger or let her climb out the cage herself and Yknow try to tame her and play with her, teaching tricks is great for bonding! Target training is great, my bird learned it on day one and learned it very fast, you can search videos on how to teach your bird it. And just be gentle, move slowly, be kind, and talk softly. This is what I did for my hand tamed cockatiel and now they are my best friend, and can not be anywhere without me!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Follow her lead. If she is content in her cage to watch and become settled leave her alone. If she demands to be let out free her.

Many birds need time to settle in. My tiel boy just wanted out and onto my head.

As long as you are allowing them what is comfortable it is fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the first few days I recommend letting her acclimate and have a cover on 3 sides of the cage (This takes 2-3 days) if you don’t she’ll get a cold, but just let her sit, eat, play, etc. And just sit in front of the cage and talk to her, watch something, read, idk. And then after 2 or 3 days just see if she wants to come onto your finger or let her climb out the cage herself and Yknow try to tame her and play with her, teaching tricks is great for bonding! Target training is great, my bird learned it on day one and learned it very fast, you can search videos on how to teach your bird it. And just be gentle, move slowly, be kind, and talk softly. This is what I did for my hand tamed cockatiel and now they are my best friend, and can not be anywhere without me!
Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys!
I need help, i will soon get a 12 week old cockatiel. She is hand tame and have very tame birds!
SO should i try to bond with her like other people say?(like leave it in the cage for 2 weeks)
I want to do like a person suggested to me. "dont even put it in the cage before it is bonded with me"
Should i do it like that?
pls help!
When I have adapted handtamed birds they’ve always wanted to be with me immediately and needed very little or no time to adjust to me that see me and want to be with me. I would take your birds lead. If he she seems nervous then be slower but it usually doesn’t take much time at all if a birds already tame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I have adapted handtamed birds they’ve always wanted to be with me immediately and needed very little or no time to adjust to me that see me and want to be with me. I would take your birds lead. If he she seems nervous then be slower but it usually doesn’t take much time at all if a birds already tame.
thanks! She is already fine with sitting on my finger and be out of her cage! but she dose not explore her cage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts