Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Grace, and I have a 22 year old male cockatiel. I am moving from Illinois to Florida in about 2 months and need advice on safe traveling. The furthest he has ever done is 6 hours when I left for university, but my mom is extremely nervous because of his age. I know to communicate frequently with him during rides to comfort him and also keep him covered. But I'm not sure what else. I'm considering getting a smaller cage for him, but he's hardly ever been outside his home cage. Wondering if I should keep him in the cage he's used to and remove his swinging perch. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
add more toys in his cage (like a lot more),place the perches lower to the ground and have a few on the top, and by 11 hrs i think ur travelling in a car, well try to distract him from the loud sounds from the outside that could scare him by playing nature sounds or a song he or u like, make sure he has fresh food and water, if u see something in the food or water, change it immediately, cover 2 side of the cage and bring along some milliet to distract him jst incase, talk to him like hes a human and if ur thinking of letting him out in the car make sure its after he is comfrtable with the new surroundings and that theres no way he could escape of the car

·
Registered
108 Posts
His cage does look bland but if you are traveling I would think that adding things that can swing and hit him wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe some cardboard or paper for him to chew but no hanging toys while you are in the car. Of course I am new to cockatiels so I don't have a perfect idea but that id my suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.