Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
A week ago, my cockatiels hatched their first (and only) chick. 'He' is so sweet and is getting very well looked after by the parents. Only the mother can regurgitate, but it's not a problem since there is only one of him.
I've been watching some chick growth videos, and by 1 week old, they look rather large, with fluff. My chick, however, does not look as large and has little fluff. He's trilling and chirping louder everyday, can hold his head up and shuffle around, but I think his growth is slow. I think it’s to do with the fact that the parents refuse o eat anything but seed. I took a picture of him this morning, before his crop was filled. He now has a fat crop.

Can anyone please let me know whether this chick has stunted growth, and if so, what I can do to help. Thank you!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Look the nostril, slightly higher than normal. I would say it little bit behand growth curve, but not to the point call stunt growth yet.

.When you say baby chirping, did you mean chirping when parent feeding or chirping to beg food. If the the former, It is nothing to worry.

.Did you provide some wet food like cocked brow rice, which is easy to digest?
Do you have any chance to have a scale? You can weigh baby each at the same time.

This is the best I can find on internet about baby weight, I always use it as reference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Look the nostril, slightly higher than normal. I would say it little bit behand growth curve, but not to the point call stunt growth yet.

.When you say baby chirping, did you mean chirping when parent feeding or chirping to beg food. If the the former, It is nothing to worry.

Do you have any chance to have a scale? You can weigh baby each at the same time.

This is the best I can find on internet about baby weight, I always use it as reference.

Hello again! Thank you so much for the tips. It chirps very loudly when feeding, but I can often hear it chirping when not being fed too. Pretty much whenever it is awake, I can at least hear a faint chirping from the nest box. I haven't provided brown rice, but I will definitely get some. Hopefully they will eat it. The mother has been nibbling at spinach and carrot, but not much. I just have a question - how long should one feed take when a parent is feeding? The feed squeaking in my box can last between around 30 seconds and up to around 7 minutes.
I always worry about handling the baby, and in the picture, it is only the second time that I have ever held it. The first time, I had to clean the box. I will try to weigh it, and let you know the results.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello again! Thank you so much for the tips. It chirps very loudly when feeding, but I can often hear it chirping when not being fed too. Pretty much whenever it is awake, I can at least hear a faint chirping from the nest box. I haven't provided brown rice, but I will definitely get some. Hopefully they will eat it. The mother has been nibbling at spinach and carrot, but not much.
I always worry about handling the baby, and in the picture, it is only the second time that I have ever held it. The first time, I had to clean the box. I will try to weigh it, and let you know the results.
Don't worry about handling babies. I handling them from day 1, they are not as fragile as you think. Checking them everyday and keeping a good record of weight is my routine during breeding season. Even if only female feed baby, she should be able to keep up feeding without any difficulty.

As for wet food, I usually provide cocked brown rice or cracked corn & sorghum ( basic bird food from grocery store, washed, soaked and cocked). My cockatiels love them during breeding season. Make sure wet food is not mushy. Somehow, my cockatiels never like any mushy food.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry about handling babies. I handling them from day 1, they are not as fragile as you think. Checking them everyday and keeping a good record of weight is my routine during breeding season. Even if only female feed baby, she should be able to keep up feeding without any difficulty.

As for wet food, I usually provide cocked brown rice or cracked corn & sorghum ( basic bird food from grocery store, washed, soaked and cocked). My cockatiels love them during breeding season. Make sure wet food is not mushy. Somehow, my cockatiels never like any mushy food.
I'm just cooking some brown rice now, then I'll put some in their bowls. I really hope that they eat it. I'd hate for poor Percy to develop stunted growth - I'd love to see his feathers. I also think he's albino too. Will this slightly slower development mean his eyes won't open for a while longer?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm just cooking some brown rice now, then I'll put some in their bowls. I really hope that they eat it. I'd hate for poor Percy to develop stunted growth - I'd love to see his feathers. I also think he's albino too. Will this slightly slower development mean his eyes won't open for a while longer?
Cockatiel baby' eyes will open around day 8, yours is not there yet. I am not seriously worrying stunt growth now. I will wait to see what next week's growth pattern. The growth pattern of cockatiel baby is highly variable, highly depends on the eggs size and parent feeding pattern. But, I think parents in general take care of babies better than we does.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cockatiel baby' eyes will open around day 8, yours is not there yet. I am not seriously worrying stunt growth now. I will wait to see what next week's growth pattern. The growth pattern of cockatiel baby is highly variable, highly depends on the eggs size and parent feeding pattern. But, I think parents in general take care of babies better than we does.
I put a pot of brown rice on the floor and the female absolutely loves it. Thank you so much! Will this give the baby the nutrients it needs? I'll be sure to give them some every evening.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I put a pot of brown rice on the floor and the female absolutely loves it. Thank you so much! Will this give the baby the nutrients it needs? I'll be sure to give them some every evening.
Wet food in general is good for baby's growth. You may consider have brown rice available all day. You also can provide cocked whole oatmeal too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wet food in general is good for baby's growth. You may consider have brown rice available all day. You also can provide cocked whole oatmeal too.
Hello! A bowl of brown rice has been in there since yesterday evening (it’s now the evening after) and it’s all gone! I’m going to add some more in a while. I just wanted to thank you again :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s now day 9 and I’m still concerned. He’s grown a bit in the last few days, but not much. Any more advice?

·
Registered
9 Posts

I give the parents a scrambled egg then I add seed and chopped spinach and greens after its cooked. they eat it very well then go feed thier baby. It might be hard on the mom being the only one feeding since the baby needs to eat every 2-3 hours. I would say after about 3 weeks if it isnt growing more you may need to hand feed it. you can get bird formula at a bird feed store or online.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I give the parents a scrambled egg then I add seed and chopped spinach and greens after its cooked. they eat it very well then go feed thier baby. It might be hard on the mom being the only one feeding since the baby needs to eat every 2-3 hours. I would say after about 3 weeks if it isnt growing more you may need to hand feed it. you can get bird formula at a bird feed store or online.
Hi there! It’s now 11 days old and showing little improvement, so I have bought formula. I’m going to assist feed it three times a day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts