Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ahhhhhhhhhh i was told that stretch needs to be at the breeders another week as he is just starting to eat his veggies but i would rather wait 1 more week rather then get him now and have problems i cleaned his cage today and set it up in a different room rather then the same room as the budgies to quranteen him for a month not that there is anything wrong with him just good practice with all birds while i was at the conference one of the other chefs brought his cockatiel with him so i was able to let his get on my shoulder but he did try and steal my hearing aids

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Your only going to quaratine for a week??

I just had a friend on another forum lose her baby quaker , that she got from a reputable breeder, the poor bird would go into this breathing problem ( it looked alot like a humans sever asthma attack) she had the quaker for 4 months, and one night after a very bad episode it died it had Bordetell Avium

This disease is highly contagious producing an upper respiratory tract infection that most often leads to death in cockatiel chicks.

I'm not saying your bird is going to have it or any disease for that matter - but it is better to be safe then sorry

The saddest part was THE BREEDER KNEW his flock had it! and never told any one who bought a bird off of him - the only reason he told this lady is because she called him and Told her the baby quaker died, and then he said his entire flock had it

That poor quaker only lived for 4 months! and it saw the vet more in those short 4 months then any animal should see in it's entire liftime - but they couldn't fiqure out what was causing her to have these breathing problems/ episodes I saw videos of the bird having one and balled my eyes out !

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I wish u goodluck. I know first hand that it's the most difficult thing waiting for that Baby... I would also recommend a longer quarantine. It's ussually suppose to be 30-40 days.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yes, I would extend the quarantine period as well. It may seem pointless, but IF your tiel did have some kind of disease/illness that spread to your budgies, you would really regret not doing quarantine longer. :)

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops sorry i did put 1 week i meant to put a month i need to read my posts before i click reply

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhh i was told that stretch needs to be at the breeders another week as he is just starting to eat his veggies but i would rather wait 1 more week rather then get him now and have problems i cleaned his cage today and set it up in a different room rather then the same room as the budgies to quranteen him for a month not that there is anything wrong with him just good practice with all birds while i was at the conference one of the other chefs brought his cockatiel with him so i was able to let his get on my shoulder but he did try and steal my hearing aids
I agree better to be safe then sorry you have waited this long one more week will hopefully go fast, those pesky tiels love to steal anything they can get there little beaks on :D mine are constantly picking at my glasses ;)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Just think, one more week to wait and then he's yours for good. All the waiting will be worth it in the end. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts